Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

bitweever
Site Admin

Rivals and Nemeses

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:52 pm

Rival - NPC that you may be competing against in some fashion, but do not wish bodily harm.

Nemesis - NPC sworn enemy, a confrontation with this person would be violent.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

bitweever
Site Admin

Re: Rivals and Nemeses

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Alder's Rival:

Romo Aelias - son of the current Templar captain, Guerin Aelias. Grew up with Alder. Romo is quickly climbing the ranks of the Templar. His father, Guerin, currently wields Kath's Honor, Avaril's sword. Romo constantly taunted Alder during their earlier years.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:44 am

Feel free to adopt a villain encountered during the story as your character's nemesis, just make sure it's one that survives and gets away. ;)
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:05 am

Alder's going to need something around level 6 to lead him down the Crusader path. Maybe he could gain a rival at that time.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:18 am

Rath has a Nemesis:

Hrothgeir, a battle-leader of the Owl Jotunn.

http://www.the5kingdoms.com/wiki/index. ... Owl_Jotunn

He's either a Cleric of Gromm who wields a greataxe. He's a roaring battle-mad barbarian war-priest who drinks and fights hard.

He bears Rath a personal grudge - Rath's father Cas killed Hrothgeir's father in battle ten years ago. Hrothgeir wants revenge.

The Owl Jotunn are longtime foes of Tir Castellan, and Rath has fought them before. Worse, the Owl Jotunn have allied with one of the Kingdom's enemies - the Redstone Spur.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:42 am

Some of Brenin's nemesi.

Tobias the Toad, Capo of the Thieve's Guild for the South Docks area. Tobias runs most of the "business" for the South Docks. He's always disliked younger thieves and workers. In an attempt to to get his "in" for the Guild, Brenin stole Tobias's masterwork short sword (a sign of rank). Embarrassed, Tobias has covered up the theft and put a price on Brenin's head.

Ewan, Captain of the city guard for the South Docks. A cold, hard man who has been on the take for years, he seems to have it out for Brenin. He has busted Brenin numerous times over the years and administered a few beatings along the way. As part of Brenin's plan to get his "in," he stole Ewan's masterwork short sword (a rarity among city guards) at the same time he took Tobias's. This caused a second bounty to be taken out on Brenin's head.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

bitweever
Site Admin

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:20 pm

'Stole'!? What kind of cleric are you?

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:22 pm

The best kind! 8)
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:36 pm

I would suggest, if possible, you link your Nemesis to one or more of the four major villains of the Grand Campaign.

Ogre Magi of Kami (the Eastern Threat)
http://www.the5kingdoms.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kami

Redstone Spur (The Western Threat)
http://www.the5kingdoms.com/wiki/index. ... stone_Spur

Manath (The Southern Threat)
http://www.the5kingdoms.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manath

Or the Yuan-Ti of Cyclops Bay and Oshogoth (The Hidden Threat)
http://www.the5kingdoms.com/wiki/index. ... yclops_Bay
http://www.the5kingdoms.com/wiki/index. ... n_Oshogoth

Not required of course - you can have whatever Nemesis you like - but it'd be cool for moving the macro plot if we added more faces to major badguys. ;)

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:28 pm

Mauril's Nemesis: Drosier the Gaunt. The necromancer from his backstory that turned his father into a wraith and terrorized Mercan. He was put down by Malik and has been raised/revived/reborn.

Mauril's Rival: Irvan Ulmgrin, head priest of the temple of Mishya in Firforge. He branded Mauril a Dark Mishyan and drove him from Barloz. He is convinced that Mauril is spreading forbidden knowledge or seeking more of it.

Second possible rival: Estrenna, Mauril's ranger sister and the only other dwelf on the planet. Long lost to parts unknown, Estrenna blames Mauril for the death of their father...or something. This one is open to someone to mess with if they want it.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:38 pm

Anybody else?

Right now I don't see a nemesis I can fit into my last episode(s) ... :)

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:12 pm

If I made a Jotunn nemesis, would that work?

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Maybe - it would depend. I'm not suggesting you make a nemesis just to use in this episode, just pointing out that the ones so far I can't see a clear way to use. ;)

Wolfgod

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:53 am

I haven't figured it all out, but my nemesis would probably have something to do with the Southern Threat (being kind of from Rothgorod and all).
"I beat Dungeons & Dragons....and it was Advanced!" - Pierce Hawthorne

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:05 am

Eastern would work for you too - they're about the same distance. :)

It's also personal, so you could be hated by an infamous spy or wizard or assassin, and no matter where they're from, they could show up. Like Holmes and Moriarty.

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:33 am

Um, I started writing this, and figured out I was practically writing the same nemesis as Dustin:

Kord the Savage - Druid/barbarian of the Red Eagle Jotunn. Has attracted a large following, and is gaining power among the clan. After a devastating attack by the Jotunn, Aligindel sent Avaril and a cohort of Templar and Guardians to strike back, severely weakening their forces. Kord (a young warrior at the time) saw many Jotunn fall. Since that time, he has used that experience to speak of Aligindel's hostility to the Jotunn, gaining popularity as a leader. In particular, he has sworn to destroy Avaril's line, including Alder and his brother Linde. Often shapechanges to attack, and has been known to rage as an animal.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:20 pm

No, he's totally different ... this guy's a druid ... the other ones a cleric ... totally different. :P

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:47 pm

Hehe