Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

AxeMan
Champion

Re: Monster Cohorts

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:24 am

I may actually have joined you guys with my druid by then. :)
"What's the use of happiness? It can't buy you money."
(Henry Youngman)

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Recommended reading for any potential druids. Should you go with the Spirit of the Beast track, you can get yourself a flying mount as a class feature or just shapechange into something that flies and be done with it. If you go with the Wild Mystic, you can just shapechange into something that flies and be done with it. No need to bother with this cohort business.

...unless you wanted a second druid...
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:49 am

Leadership does take up a Feat slot and requires some Charisma, a stat a lot of us don't have. I could see not taking it if you didn't need it.

I'm also not sure what kind of Cohort a Druid would take ... they've already got an animal companion and can turn into things ... other than Austin's 'another Druid' idea .. :)
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:18 am

I know it's been some time, but I think I have an official first draft for Braden's Ikea dragon. The dragon type is rather easy to swap out. The base creature (a deinonychus) might be slightly more difficult. He's a touch fragile (only 54 hit points) but he's pretty formidable otherwise. At ECL 11, Braden can get this with his level 13 feat.
Giant Half-Brass Dragon Deinonychus
N Large Dragon
Init: +2; Senses: Darkvision 60, low light vision, scent; Perception +19
Defenses
AC 21 touch 11 flat-footed 19 (+2 Dex, +10 natural, -1 size)
HP 54 (4d8+33)
Fort +15 Ref +8 Will +5
Immune: sleep, paralysis, fire
Offense
Speed 60 feet, Fly 120 (average)
Melee: 2 talons +13 (1d6+11), bite +13 (1d8+11), foreclaws +8 (1d6+5)
Special Attacks: pounce, breath weapon (60-foot line 4d6 fire, Ref DC 23 half)
Statistics
Str 32 Dex 14 Con 32 Int 6 Wis 14 Cha 17
Base Atk: +3 CMB: +15 CMD 27
Feats: Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Skills: Acrobatics +19 (+31 Jump) Fly +9 Intimidate +12 Perception +19 Stealth +6
Racial Modifiers: +8 Acrobatics +8 Perception +8 Stealth
I chose the Deinonychus partially due to the high speed and pounce abilities combined with the 4 (or 5?) attacks. The other reason is due to the prevalence of dinosaurs in Rothgorod, which Newholm is somehow associated with. If a giant reptilian thing is going to breed with something outside its own species, why not another giant reptilian thing?

Other base options included the frilled lizard (3 more HD and a different charge ability, but slower and with less attacks), the crocodile (would be best suited as a grappler, 1 less HD and less attacks) and the shocker lizard (neat but, ultimately, sort of gimmicky).

Recommendations on leveling: As you can only add 6 levels to this thing, you might be better served by adding racial hit dice instead of class levels. Dragon HD are pretty decent and will improve Ikea's breath weapon damage and save DC. Otherwise, levels in Fighter for the 7 feats.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:53 am

So I got bored...

Here's a level-by-level build for the remaining 7 levels, the first of which will likely be gained when Braden takes the leadership feat.

ECL 8 (As above)
ECL 9 Dragon RHD, Hover (4 skills)
ECL 10 Dragon RHD (4 skills)
ECL 11 Fighter 1, Toughness, Intimidating Prowess (2 skills)
ECL 12 Fighter 2, Bravery +1, Lunge, +1 CHA (2 skills)
ECL 13 Fighter 3, Armor Training 1, Improved Iron Will (2 skills)
ECL 14 Fighter 4, Weapon Focus (Talons) (2 skills)
ECL 15 Fighter 5, Weapon Training (Natural), Dazzling Display (2 skills)
ECL 16 Fighter 6, Bravery +2, Critical Focus (2 skills)
ECL 17 Dragon RHD, Sickening Critical (4 skills)

Favored Class: Fighter bonus applied to hit points at ELs 11-16. I'm worried about this thing's hit points, hence Toughness. Not being a skill monkey, the favored class hp just makes sense too.
Last edited by nbrs6121 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:33 am

Clay's Dracolisk (which is actually ECL 11, I did my math wrong) is slated for 2 levels of barbarian and 4 levels of Fighter. Exchange the listed feats for those listed at ECL 11. I did some rethinking.

ECL 9 (Stat Block), Blind-Fight, Iron Will, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush
ECL 10 Barbarian 1, +10 movement, rage, +1 Dex
ECL 11 Barbarian 2, Uncanny Dodge, Knockback (r), Awesome Blow
ECL 12 Fighter 1, Intimidating Prowess
ECL 13 Fighter 2, Critical Focus, Greater Bull Rush, Bravery +2
ECL 14 Fighter 3, Armor Training 1, +1 Int
ECL 15 Fighter 4, Staggering Critical, Bleeding Critical
ECL 16 Fighter 5, Weapon Training (Natural), Greater Bull Rush
ECL 17 Fighter 6, Bravery +2, Ability Focus (Gaze)

The dracolisk gains 1 skill point per level. Favored Class recommendation: Fighter, and take the extra 4 HP unless you really need the skill points somewhere.
Last edited by nbrs6121 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:40 am

For anyone who is taking a mount and plan on using it in combat, you are probably going to want to invest some of your WBL into equipping it. If your beastie relies on natural attacks for damage, then you may need to fork over the cash for an Amulet of Mighty Fists. It's pricey, but doing typed damage gets important. You might also look into barding, especially if your mount has Fighter levels (for Armor Training) and you definitely want something to increase its saves. Also, your mount may or may not have the requisite body slots for certain items. You may have to use the "alternate body slot" pricing to get it to fit somewhere (base price x1.5) or convert it into an ioun stone (base price x2).

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:21 am

54 HP for the Draconychus is dangerously low IMHO. At ECL 11, all the Griffons will have nearly a hundred with a higher base AC ...
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Can't you make him a flying tyrannosaur?

Full attack: Bite +20 (3d10+50)/ Tail swipe +15 (2d8 + 20) / Scratch x2 +3 (1d4 + 1)
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Actually, at ECL11 he'll have another 1d10+11 (avg 16) hit points, putting him above 70. Still low, but the only other option is to switch to the Frilled Lizard, which starts with 7HD rather than 5HD. The half-dragon template is just that expensive.

As mentioned, this is why favored class bonuses and one of the feats were invested in hit points. It's another 15 hit points at ECL17. Again, not a whole lot, but it's something. Also, every two points of CON gives him another 11 hp.

Wait... I might have done my math wrong again. I double counted the half-dragon addition. I counted the +2 CR for the template and +4 ECL for being half-dragon. It should be +2 CR and +2 ECL. Ikea gets two more levels. So does Rocky, actually. I'll refigure feats and such.

EDIT: Fixed the two builds. Each gained two more levels. Ikea took 1 Fighter level and 1 RHD. Assuming average rolls, Ikea should have over 200 hp at ECL 17. More respectable.

Rocky took two levels of Fighter.

I've got reasons for each choice, but ultimately it's up to their masters what they do.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:33 pm

Awesome, that's much better. :)

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:41 am

@Greg: T. rex is CR 8, +2 for Half-Dragon, +2 ECL. This means that Braden couldn't pick up his cohort until level 15 and it would only gain 5 total levels. Also, it would be Huge (literally) so he might have problems getting it into places. Being Large is going to present enough problems.

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:35 am

I was mostly kidding; I wouldn't want to see a flying Tyrannosaur.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:29 am

I would... Just from a good distance.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:54 pm

For simplicity, here are the .pdf character sheets for the Level 11 mounts for Alder, Athelas, Braden and Miach. All mount names are just suggestions and can change at the behest of the character/player. Same with any skill allotments and feats.

The .pdfs for Miach's mount and Brennin's owl (if he wants it) are attached on the next post.

EDIT: Athelas can't actually gain this mount until level 13.
Attachments
Germajesty.pdf
For Alder!
(192.49 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Rocky.pdf
For Athelas!
(194.16 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Ikea.pdf
For Braden!
(194.05 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by nbrs6121 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:56 pm

And here they are!

Incidentally, all of the cohort-mounts (so, not Paemi) can be equipped with barding. If you want barding (and I recommend it if you want your mount in combat), you have to pay for it from your WBL, though mundane/masterwork barding is technically free. Magic items also come from your WBL. I'd recommend a cloak of resistance, a ring of protection, an amulet of mighty fists and magic barding.

Paemi is not trained to wear any armor and isn't designed to do well in combat, but that's the price of buying (basically) a flying horse rather than spending the feat on a combat option.
Attachments
Paemi.pdf
For Brennin!
(192 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Eryr.pdf
For Miach!
(192.42 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:32 pm

I apparently grossly miscalculated the price of the Port-a-stable, for the "pokéball" that would let you keep your large sized mount in your pocket. I had tossed out a firure somewhere around 15,000 gold. Turns out that the portable hole alone is 20,000. The price for the device (poartable hole + bottle of air + resetting create food/water trap) is 28,000 gold. So, you could sacrifice an item and all of this level's extra wealth (the 20k from level 10 to level 11) to get one or you could wait a level. Your call.

Also, remember that you gain a small group of followers by taking this feat. You need to look at the Leadership table to figure out how many you have. Because of Mauril's low charisma score and some of his various character choices, he has a final adjusted Leadership score of 13. Some of you kinder, nicer folks with higher charismas (yes, I'm looking at you Edelbrock) might have Leadership scores as high as 23 (almost capping out the table) and have a whole horde of followers. Pretty much all of us have "great renown" and "special power" and several of us have a stronghold/base/guildhouse.

The rules are hazy on what sorts of classes these followers can have. It's been a much debated topic on the Paizo threads, with some people saying that since they are called "NPCs" that they have to have NPC classes (expert, warrior, commoner, adept, aristocrat). Others say that the feat doesn't specify and that in all respects followers are treated like mini-cohorts, and therefore can take levels in any class. I'm on the fence about it. I think, either way, most of my followers will have levels in "expert" and be tasked with the creation of mundane, masterwork items or with organizing Mauril's library and research laboratory. No need for PC classes to do that. If he can have a wizard or two to work with him, I don't think I would turn them down. I'll leave what type of classes followers can have up to group consensus though.

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:22 am

I thought the classes of the followers was pretty straightforward:
This feat enables you to attract a loyal cohort and a number of devoted subordinates who assist you. A cohort is generally an NPC with class levels, while followers are typically lower level NPCs.
I interpret that to mean that a cohort has levels in core classes, while followers have levels in NPC classes. Having 11 sorcerers following me around so they can all spam an opponent with 'magic missile' would seem a bit munchkinish to me. The followers are effectively useless in combat (it says so under the 'Leadership' feat), but they're good for foot massages.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:26 am

I don't think it much matters. The toughest the followers ever get is just a handful of levels. They're of no practical use in high level combat. Really they aren't even much for crafting. They're just guys who follow you, who can keep the home fires burning back at your castle and handle low-level tasks. I don't see it matters much if they're a Noble or a Cleric.

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 am

Also, a higher leadership score would mean I could use a higher level build of Jermajesty, right?

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:51 am

Somehow, Mercy was never built or posted here as a rubric so I started doing some maths to see where she ought to be and here's what I found. A unicorn is considered a level 8 character, the same as the griffon. This means that, by adding the half-celestial template, she is ECL 9, which is what you can get at level 11 with the feat. When Edelbrock hit level 12, Mercy can gain either a class level or an outsider hit die. At 13, she can gain another class level but gaining another hit die would actually cost 2 levels (as the HD increase bumps the ECL by 1 and also makes the half-celestial template increase to +2 ECL) so it's better to take a class level. Essentially her progression would look something like this. ECL stands for Effective Class Level, which needs to be 2 levels lower than the PC's level.

ECL 9: Base Half-Celestial Unicorn
ECL 10: +1HD, cure serious wounds 1/day, neutralize poison 1/day
ECL 11: Oracle 1, battle mystery, lame curse, surprising charge revelation
ECL 12: -------- (ECL cost of half-celestial template going from +1 to +2)
ECL 13: Oracle 2, holy smite 1/day, remove disease 1/day
ECL 14: Oracle 3, battlecry revelation or weapon mastery revelation (gore)
ECL 15: Oracle 4, dispel evil 1/day
ECL 16: Oracle 5, immune to fatigue
ECL 17: -------- (ECL cost of half-celestial template going from +2 to +3)
ECL 18: Oracle 6, holy word 1/day
ECL 19: Oracle 7, combat healer revelation
ECL 20: Oracle 8, holy aura 3/day, hallow
ECL 21: Oracle 9
ECL 22: Oracle 10, mass charm monster, speed not reduced by armor

I took it all the way to ECL 22 since there was discussion that we wanted to take this past 20 and this scales then all the way to level 24. Had we not already played through level 12, I would have done an oracle level there instead because it seems that I was misinformed and class levels do count as HD for the purposes of templates unless racial hit dice are specified (as in the breath weapon of half-dragons).

I went oracle over paladin because it seems to fit more the "chosen of Mishya" aspect that it seems that Mercy has going on. Battle Oracle is just about as combat focused as the paladin (allowing for similar characterization) but offers some different play options, for both roleplay and gameplay. Paladin would have been very combat focused, where the battle oracle is a little more combat/casting balanced.

Thoughts? Questions? Objections?
Attachments
Mercy 13.pdf
(196.26 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:54 am

Also, a higher leadership score would mean I could use a higher level build of Jermajesty, right?
No. Leadership score is only tied to number of followers, essentially. Your cohort's level is limited by two factors: your Leadership score when recruited and your character level for the rest of the time. Because of the way we are doing leveling, your cohort will always be 2 ECLs behind you.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:42 pm

Ikea, Rocky and Claw Claw Deathbeak for level 14. All three lack gear, so you will be required to purchase that and apply any bonuses from it on your own.
Attachments
Germajesty.pdf
(192.65 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Rocky.pdf
(194.23 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Ikea.pdf
(194.04 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:15 am

I like that Rocky and Ikea were each downloaded one time. Greg, why did you download your griffon three times? You know that you can print more than one copy from a single download, right? :P

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:43 am

One of those was me.

Wolfgod