Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

The Wide World

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:16 am

I've been doing some high-level mapping to try and settle some of the world's areas for later use.

(Maps are duplicated on the Wiki)

The world we know is the continent of Eian.

Nick is working on his own area (for the first time); the island off Weizao, off the coast of Kami.

If anybody would like a new Kingdom or area to work on, now would be a good time. There are a number of islands west of the Kingdoms that aren't currently developed, if you'd like an island nation.

If you do take anything, I would ask that you develop it; at least give me the bare bones of it's history and such.

Austin and I will be working on the main continents, to give them the seven thousand years of post-Skos-and-Naduum history they'll need to be fleshed out. If you'd like something on the mainlands, that's welcome; just be patient while we build up the regions.

As an aside, I'd like everybody in the game group to build a *badguy* Kingdom. It can be anything from a mid-sized Empire to a small island of kobold pirates, just so long as you detail it a bit. If the Grand Campaign ends with the destruction of some or all of our enemies, we're going to be short of foes. It would be nice to have several waiting in the wings for later games, and opening this up to general submission allows for a nice diversity of enemies. You might've felt the lack of an orc empire, or perhaps a nice nation ruled by evil flen wizards, I dunno.

So, if you want a new/different Kingdom to work on, let us know.

And, everybody make a small-to-mid sized badguy Kingdom. Note I don't specify evil - they don't have to be evil, just foes of our Kingdoms with their own motivations.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Re: The Wide World

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:01 pm

For all those concerned, I have already staked a claim to the region to the southwest of the nation of Umjaden in Avantarra. It's going to be a region of humans, orcs and half-orcs and is intended to be a bastion of goodness surrounded by the evil of Umjaden and whatever inhabits the western chunk of the continent. They are relatively civilized, with lots of alchemy and wizardry. Also, constructs. It's a region about half again as big as Barloz.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:38 am

I might take the large eastern island between Avantarra and Valea. I've had the idea for a nation where rulership shifts among different factions and races. There would be times when it is hostile to most outsiders and others where they are more friendly.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:12 am

Shawn, just for reference, that island is about twice the size of Barloz, or larger.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:29 am

The list of Questions for building a Kingdom or Region:

Naming:

What us the name of the nation? What is its adjectival form? What is its collective form?

(Aruthien, Aruthienic, Aruthiens; Barloz, Barlozian, Barlozan; Ehrenland, Ehrenic, Ehrenlanders)

Establishment:

When was your Kingdom established?

By who?

How did they manage this?

Where did your people(s) come from?

Terrain:

What is the land like in the North? South? East? West? Central?

What are the summers like? The winters?

What is the attitude towards the sea?

How large is the nation/region?

Culture:

What are the common folk like?

What are their leaders like?

What makes the people here unique and different from other areas?

What local customs do they follow?

How do they dress?

Language:

What language(s) are spoken here?

What language(s) are unknown here?

Faith:

What god(s) do your people follow? Do some gods have more of a hold on some areas?

What is unique about faith/temples/worship in your region?

Who is the most important religious figure here? (Living or dead?)

Government:

What kind of Government does the region have?

How long has it been in power?

Was there ever another government in power here?

Who is in charge of the nation or region?

Who is in charge at the local level?

Who enforces the laws?

Friends and Enemies:

Does this region have any allies?

Does this region have any enemies?

Did this region have enemies or allies in the past that have since been defeated or lost?

Neighbors:

What are the attitudes towards bordering nations or regions?

What are the attitudes towards distant or powerful nations?

Military:

How do they defend themselves?

Do they have an army?

Do they have a navy?

Do they have anything unique or unusual about their military?

Who is in charge of the military?

Magic:

What is the attitude towards arcane magic? Divine magic?

Is it common? Uncommon? What makes magic here unique?

Who is the most significant person here, magically speaking?

Cities:

What are the major cities?

What are the significant minor cities?

What makes each settlement different from the others?

Heroes:

Does this nation/region have a hero or heroine? Who are/were they?

Races:

What are the attitudes towards the various races? How common or uncommon are various races?

Classes:

What are the attitudes towards various classes? How common or uncommon are they?
Last edited by Wolfgod on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Twice the size of Barloz is good. I need the various groups to feel a little stretched.

Looking at the map I'm assuming that island is close to the equator.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:44 pm

Yeah ... you'd think that. But it isn't. :)

The Equator runs right through the 'O' in 'Emerald Ocean'. So this map is a bit northerly.

The weather patterns and currents are unusual, though, so don't feel compelled by climate; so long as you aren't trying to go really really cold, you should be fine.

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:53 pm

That may work even better. If there is a tall mountain it may be snowcapped part of the year.
-Ready Player One

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:42 pm

I've got my eye on the claw-shaped island to the north of Valea (South of the 'E' in 'Emerald'). I assume it would be sufficiently tropical, since the southern part of it is on the same latitude as the 'O'?
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Very tropical, if you wish.

I'd like to illustrate size of those landmasses. Picture attached.

Superimposed next to the islands are the original Five Kingdoms (I cropped out their land area - Aruthien, Tantathia, Barloz, Spaartha, Ehrenland). As you can see, these two islands are easily two original Kingdoms large. Possibly more.

I just point that out so you'll know how much area you are dealing with. This is enough land area for two or three or more *kingdoms*. Make sure the power you have in mind can fill that area, or leave a lot of it wilderness, or leave room for another power. Or install an evil rival Kingdom right next door. ;)

Also, is this your 'new area' or is this your 'badguy kingdom?'

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:33 pm

I'm thinking both. New kingdom (natives, tropical and seafaring) to the North, and Evil McBadguys (kingdom of psionic clowns and carnies) to the South.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Psionic clowns and carnies? Am I allowed a veto?
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:44 pm

No carnies. Psionic clowns is redundant.

Sounds good - fitting two powers on that islands should work spiffily.

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:20 am

Seriously, though, I'm thinking that there will be mountains along the east edge, and they span across the whole island somewhere around the middle. Depending on which way the jetstream flows, the windward side would be lush and tropical, and I'd like it to give way to a more arid landscape on the other side. The ones in the tropics are my seagoing Mayan-like new kingdom, whereas the ones in the arid area are bronze elf magic-using refugees of Naduum.

I'm trying to keep the neo-Mayans from feeling too "Avatar"-ish, with their untouched wilderness and such. I think there may be Dwarves and Druagar in the mountains as well.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:24 am

Tall-blue-Avatar or arrow-on-forehead-Avatar?

You can do as you like with terrain, jetstreams, and races. it's your area. ;)

Wolfgod

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:42 am

Current/possible civilizations of Avantarra:

Gaer - good, advanced orcs, surrounded by hostile forest
Corsairia - amoral seafaring traders and pirates
Umajden - bad, bad people
Shivan - lion-men, tiger-men, and raksasha, oh my!
others ...

Current/possible civilizations of Valea:

#name - Ruthlessly imperialistic seagoing Gnomes (with brute infantry)
#name - Crusading empire of bad Knights
others ...

Current/possible island civilizations between the continents:

Vilnian Land - cannabalistic poisonus lizardmen
Lyoness - lost Elven kingdom
Aquila - lost Skosian state

Location not yet set:

Hobgoblin Sparta - This! Is! Hobgoblin! Sparta!
Goblin Empire - a big Empire of little green monsters

All of these would be nothern and southern neighbors. At least two would be in sea contact. Probably more as things flesh out.

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Trying to stay away from the "feel" of the tall, blue Avatars. Maybe trend them more Mayan, with the sacrifice of their enemies and such. Can't see a blue-skin doing that (not that I ever saw the movie).

I was thinking Solarans as the name, but that means the land would be named 'Solara'. Don't want to name it after a Toyota.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Solos (so-loss)
Soleria
Soltzen
Solhotec
Soletep
Solosteca

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:27 pm

I like 'Solosteca'. I'll go with that. Solosteca, Solostecans.

Maybe something like Maladara for the Bronze Elves, or is that too "Hello, I'm evil!"?

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Sounds good to me. :)

Though your Solostecans carving out people's hearts on stone altars doesn't exactly say 'goodguys'. If they do that. ;)

I'll let you work 'em both up. You might try answering the 'Questions' list in a thread. That'll give me/you/Austin enough data to wiki 'em.

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Solostecans only sacrifice bad guys. :roll:

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Oh, I've also staked claim to Hobgoblin Sparta. I've yet to decide if they will be kicking anyone into a pit of doom.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Of course they will.

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:08 pm

I'm leaning toward the name Calynys. The first civilizations on the island are very old, in the area of 5,000 to 6,000 years. Other settlers have come to the island more recently. I have the island divided into 10 factions. The current cooperative government they have has existed about 3,000 years.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Skos and Naduumm established: 10,000 PN
Skos and Naduum destroyed: 7,000 PN
New Skos and Murmanityed Established: 7,000 PN
(Huge gap of history. Kingdoms which come before modern kingdoms established before - )
Nagul Invades: 0 TC
Kingdoms Rebel: 40 TC
Murmanityed Destroyed: 76 TC
Jarl War: 156 TC
Seafarers: 176 TC
Present day: 196 TC

Wolfgod