Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Aberrant Hunters

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:15 am

Intro to the Aberrant Hunters game:

You are a group of aberrant hunting adventurers, who have hunted together for a few years. Your group (which could probably use a name) was contacted by Baron Arnau of Malbar. He mentioned in the courier's message of strange goings on in the mines and states that things are urgent. We will pick up the action in April 199 TC, on the Malbar River having just caught a barge up river from Padib.

Greg is playing a gnome druid (air domain).
Dustin is playing a flen paladin (archery).
Brian is playing a dwarf inquisitor (of Gromm, weather domain).
Mark is playing an ansvar barbarian (greatsword, elemental rage).
Clay is playing a dhampir fighter (rapier focus).
Shawn is playing a flen sorcerer (air elemental bloodline).

Characters have 10,500 gp to spend on level 5 characters. Stats are a 15 point buy. Choose any race you want that has stats. Include two traits when you build. I'm expecting the game to run about six weeks or so.

For those undecided on a build. Don't build anything centered around enchantment spells, precision damage or critical hits. However, someone picking up trapfinding (the rogue ability available to several archetypes) to disable magical traps could be useful.

Post with any questions or further specifics on your character's backstory/build.
Last edited by nbrs6121 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Re: Aberrant Hunters

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Might there be room for an elemental sorcerer in this group?
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Always.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 am

Woot!

Just FYI, I'm a Druid with the Air domain, so we've kind of got the electricity thing covered.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am

Hmmm, my first instinct is to go with electricity. I'll have to look at the other elements and see what looks interesting. Perhaps earth.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:39 am

If it's really what you want to do, go for it. It's just my domain, not my whole idiom. We'll get along fine.

There's a loose directive to not play a human or an elf (which includes half-elves).
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:04 pm

I was thinking a flen named Zax.
-Ready Player One

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Sekkesh Windtamer - Crythentarc Gnome Druid. Sekkesh (Sek) had a perfectly normal childhood, and his parents are still living. They're very supportive of his adventures, but do wish he would visit more often.

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:15 pm

In light of recent house rules, are we restricted to spells from the PH and APG on character creation?

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:00 pm

I will likely need extensive help generating the character. At home I only have access to the SRD. The good thing about a sorcerer is that I'll have a very limited number of spells. But I'm also not sure how you are generating stats now.
-Ready Player One

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:20 pm

From above:
Characters have 10,500 gp to spend on level 5 characters. Stats are a 15 point buy. Choose any race you want that has stats. Include two traits when you build. I'm expecting the game to run about six weeks or so.
http://tools.digitalightbulb.com/pbcalc.html

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Spells outside Core and APG are added at the cost of a scroll of that spell's level for your class.

For handy reference.

Also, since Mark is considering playing an Ansvar, here are the stats. It comes out to being a bit on the high end of normal characters (the same as an aasimar), but definitely playable.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm

I will likely need extensive help generating the character. At home I only have access to the SRD. The good thing about a sorcerer is that I'll have a very limited number of spells. But I'm also not sure how you are generating stats now.
Everything on Paizo's PRD is fair game. Any class or race or spell or feat. You might also check our races for world specific stuff like firbolg and shivan. Feel free to text or email me with questions.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm playing Maaco Sidestepper, an Archer Paladin of Kern who rides a Tiger called Mince Thunderpaws.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:22 am

We have a lot of air and sky stuff for an underground game. ;D
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 am

I thought I was clear about being called to a mine and hunting aberrations, but it's interesting to see what people thought to build from that prompt. I think Brian's dwarf is the only character I'd have built on my own, which is kind of fun for me.

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 am

The Earth domain kinda sucks.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:42 pm

We really have an interesting group of characters. They're not at all usual.

On the other hand, after so long in the Grand Campaign, I feel like I don't know anybody. :D

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm a wandering Gnome. I never Gnome alone.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Brian, are you okay with meeting at your place on Friday? I'll bring my controllers if you want. I think my brother is having some people over to the apartment on Friday.

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Sure. I bought a new vacuum cleaner, so I've been in a cleaning mood all week.
"I beat Dungeons & Dragons....and it was Advanced!" - Pierce Hawthorne

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm

We shall be gone all weekend.

In other news, I really like the way we're using diplomacy and other skills in group conversations in this game. Other characters get to talk and participate in the NPC interactions, with only the occasional roll. It's fun.

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Looks like I will miss this week also. We have to get ready for Easter festivities and I'm going to a conference in Norman next week. This weekend looks to be pretty busy.
-Ready Player One

oathbinder
Minor god

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:39 pm

I will not be there tonight
. Our good friday survives does not start until 8:00.
“Promise me… whatever happens, where ever you go… don’t let them eat my dog.” Lewis Gates- Last of the dog men

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:15 am

As a warning, I will be gone on the 12th. I'd like to get as much done as possible next week. You should level your characters to level 6 before the session please. No new gear, just class level stuff.