Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Aruthien: The Last Frontier

Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:56 am

I know we still have a bit more time left in Greg's MechWarrior game, but I figured that it wouldn't be a problem to go ahead and start planning for the Pathfinder game I intend to run rather soon. To start, here is the basic introduction to the game, to help you decide what you might like to play:
The year is 202 TC. The Great War ended two years ago and Aruthien needs to consolidate and explore their holdings. A call for explorers went out from the capitol, offering gold and land as a rewards for those willing to explore the new holdings. You have answered that call at Alderdel to explore the former Redstone Spur lands for your own particular reasons. You either have knowledge or skills that you feel would be useful to a wilderness exploration expedition. You will experience danger and be far from civilization and help for several months.
Rules wise, you will be starting as level 2 adventurers using the Pathfinder rules. We will be playing E6, which is relevant even if we don't surpass level 6, because it means that no one else in the campaign will have access to any feature above level 9 and that magic items will be rare and very valuable. You may play any official Pathfinder race or class that we have included somewhere in the world; any homebrew race or class that is included in the wiki is fair game too. Races and classes from 3rd parties would need to be specifically approved before using. Same goes with feats, spells, archetypes, etc. with the exception of the Master Summoner and Synthesist Summoner archetypes or anything that relies on guns. You will be allowed 1000 gold worth of gear. I strongly recommend not spending more than half of that on any one item. Additionally, you may bring cash with you to Alderdel (which is currently a small town that used to be a military camp) and see about purchasing items there.

This game is intended to be more roleplay centric than my previous games. Much of the game will revolve around simple exploration and interaction with natural hazards and indigenous peoples. Combat will take place but, as death will be permanent and resurrections nigh impossible to get, running away when things get dicey is strongly encouraged. Another thing I intend to do to encourage roleplay is to reduce metagaming. First and foremost, I would like if none of the other players were ever actually be sure what is on any other player's character sheet. When you introduce your character, you won't say "fighter" or "wizard" or "ranger". Instead you'd say "swordsman" or "enchanter" or "hunter" or some other characterful term that is specific to your character but could work for more than one class. Additionally, if you are a spell caster, please refrain from using specific spell names whenever possible - instead simply mention which saves are necessary and what effects happen. For example, instead of saying that you cast "fireball", you might say "all these guys take 23 fire damage, but they get a reflex save, as the area explodes in flames". Ultimately, this will require a bit of trust between players and between players and GM, as it will be difficult to "audit" other players. I find this to be a feature and not a bug, since we are aiming for a roleplay and not a powergame anyway.

Finally, I'd really like to hear about your characters. Please feel free to post backstories and skill sets, as well as race and nationality, here for everyone to see. These would be the sort of introductions that you would give your fellow adventurers. Additionally, I'd like to discuss characters with the individual players before the game starts, preferably via email, texts or private messages.

Finally, I'm looking forward to this game and really looking forward to what you guys bring to the (virtual?) table. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Re: Aruthien: The Last Frontier

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:57 am

Cool, looking forward to this.

Right now I'm planning on a human from the Grand Duchy of the Cameran Highlands. Like a lot of young men he joined the Cameran Legion and served in the war. Though he loves the highlands of home, the small quarrels of the feuding clans don't interest him much now, and going home didn't seem appealing. So he's knocked around the north since the war ended, looking for another adventure.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:36 pm

I was trying to come up with a name before I posted, but I guess I'll post anyway.

I'm playing a dwarf from Granite's Hold, north of Aligindel. He's a little odd for a dwarf, like many in Granite's Hold. He left home to see what is beyond the mountain and to see what new discoveries await.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:22 pm

I forgot to mention that it will be a fifteen point buy, for those already building characters.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:43 pm

I may change my character. I'll talk to Austin on Friday. I have a character concept I've been kicking around for a few months now, and this game may be the right one to do it.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Because we will be starting at a low level and ultimately staying at a low level (compared to previous games) and access to high level spell casters will be very limited, I will be instituting a compromise when it comes to player death. I intend to make death significant without making it crippling to either player or story. If a player dies while on the adventure, the player will have two options: keep the death permanent or take a permanent penalty. These penalties might be a stat penalty, a permanent condition, or they might be a divergence in the plot that is somehow detrimental to the character in question. In the case of a total party wipe, a plot divergence will happen and be especially detrimental to the goals of the party, but the plot will continue still.

I want combat, especially combat in service of particular plots or sub-plots, to be deadly, but I also don't want to ruin the story because of a bad die roll. However, to keep things equal (and interesting) certain NPCs might also be afforded this right.

This is in addition to the E6 rules (which don't really affect anything until and unless with hit level 7) and the typical houserules that we have been playing by for a long time. If needed, I can compile a list of those.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:33 pm

I'd like to suggest that we consider making two characters, our 'main' character, who we intend to play, and an 'alt' character, who can replace our main character in the event of our deaths. Alts should have a clear 'in' to the story built into them; for example, if my main character is Philoneus, a Gnome with a bow, his cousin Miketon should know about Philoneus' Quest for the Ruby Chalice of Eriad and be willing to carry on his work should Philoneus be slain by a bugbear.

This way, death of the main character will be significant, but the player is prepared for the possibility and can bring their alt into the storyline swiftly. This should serve to reduce the shock of 'what, I got killed?' and ease the transition into another hero.

And you can always build a wall of dead bards to shelter behind.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:28 am

I had considered that track as well, but when the adventure is "go out into the unexplored wilderness where there is little to no civilization" and sending being a 4th level spell, it'd be hard to figure out why a backup character was able to get 100 miles into the forest on his own, without notification, at the time of a character death. Keep in mind that "your character remains dead" is a valid option for the player to choose. If you happen to accrue three or four death-penalties, your character would be pretty crippled at this point so actual death might be a better option for the character, party and players. If you think you might choose this option at some point, you will need to have a backup character (who will probably start at level 2) with a plausible reason to join the party. Being part of another exploration group that got lost or mostly killed seems the easiest explanation, however other options most definitely exist. You shouldn't need to have a backup character on Day 1 though, unless you do something horribly, horribly wrong.

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:37 am

Maybe our alt characters are part of a group that is watching us. These "Others" are the original inhabitants of the island, er, wilderness.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:16 am

Yeah, you'd have to write in a pretty good backstory. ;D

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:02 am

If you are planning to play, I'd really like to have a character bio in hand (just so I can keep all your details straight) and a character sheet fairly soon. You can either send them to me in a PM from the board or in an email. I believe we are intending to start next week or the week after, and I want to get the final steps of preparation ready.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:00 pm

I'll be somewhere off the coast of Angola till late Feb.

Wolfgod

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:40 am

I am the dwarf known as Madoc. I come from the western plains of Rothogorod where I have spent years hunting game to sell at markets in the villages. My family is from Gurdin Tagor. I prefer the wide open spaces of the plains or woods rather than the confines of the hold. I prefer to think things through, rather than to rush into things without a plan. I struggle with the dealings of other people. I wish I had better social skills, but that’s what you get being a dwarf in a human/elf world. However, I am good with a bow and I do like to explore. That is why I am traveling to Alderdel – A new place to explore and to possibly hunt new game.
"I beat Dungeons & Dragons....and it was Advanced!" - Pierce Hawthorne

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Can we get this thread moved to Current Game? I don't have those powers.

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:57 am

Done.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Are we meeting on Friday or are we taking a week off for Valentine's?

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:20 am

I won't be there, and I don't think Mark will be either.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:16 pm

Executive decision: no game night then.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:13 pm

So, have you started yet? I fly home on or about the 22nd.

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:25 pm

We've got two games under our belt. We've met up in Alderdel, and are now trekking.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Ahh, OK. Depending on how things go, I'll join in if I can.

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:46 am

Since Friday is Good Friday, Mark said he would be out. Do we want to meet anyway and play something else?

bitweever
Site Admin

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:35 pm

I will likely be out as well. I think we are going to make an IKEA run to Tejas.

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Thu May 08, 2014 6:10 am

Let me brush the dust off the board here.....Are we back to playing this Friday?
"I beat Dungeons & Dragons....and it was Advanced!" - Pierce Hawthorne

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon May 12, 2014 4:46 pm

THIS Friday? I may have a son by then. I'm not sure yet.