Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

bitweever
Site Admin

Fixing d20 Battletech

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:26 am

Playing Battletech as a d20 game has proved to be time-consuming. Roll20.net has its own learning curve, as well as our doctored system. I think we have most of the wrinkles ironed out, but I think one change that needs to be made is that DEX or Defense pay not role in mech. Think of it this way: Battlemechs in this universe work more like walking tanks than like Pacific Rim Jaegers. Your defense IS how much you move or jump. What we did with the change to d20 is add the modifiers to go from a 2d6 to a 1d20 system, and THEN we added DEX and Defense to the target numbers. That caused it to make it nearly impossible to hit.

On top of that, we should do initiative order. We'll go through the order in movement, alternating sides. Then we'll reverse that same order for firing.

I may also change the icons to have an integrated arrow, and add an optional firing arc that can be added or removed at will.

Any other suggestions?

I really want to make this work. I miss Battletech, and want to play every once in a while.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Re: Fixing d20 Battletech

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 am

Those all sound good to me. I think you need a base 10 Defense plus your 'mechs movement. Your dex is helping your piloting and most gunnery, after all.

This raises the problem of 'easy hits' later in the game, though, as pilots shooting skills rise rapidly and the target numbers never change. I'm not entirely certain how to deal with that.

Perhaps a moving 'mech can add some/all of Piloting to the AC? Perhaps only if the Mechwarrior is 'driving defensively' and not firing? Just brainstorming here. Alternately, a piloting check to add +2 to the AC, as you 'dodge'? Another option: We reduce the movement/range penalties to TT values (the ones on the QR sheet) and allow a good Pilot to add his skill bonus to his AC when moving? (This would simulate a good pilot in a fast 'mech being harder to hit, instead of it being sheer speed).

I do think we need to delete the Defense skill and allow pilots to re-spend the points elsewhere.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:04 am

That's somewhat the purpose on the increasing difficulty in skill. Maybe we need to have it ramp up faster? Like pay full value of the skill rank you're moving to? Getting to a +6 or a +7 would be a lot more difficult then.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Is there a reason we aren't just using the 2d6 method in and out of Mech? Do it for skills too. That seems like it would resolve lots of issues. Simplify the number of rolls and modifiers, but keep the core mechanic as is.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:57 am

The TT mechanic makes no allowance for pilot skill making a mech harder to hit; a Locust driven by an elite pilot is just as hard to hit as a Locust driven by a novice. I was hoping to make things more character driven.

We can use the 2d6 system for everything; but the only relevant skill that system allows to improve is gunnery skill.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:58 pm

And I'd lean towards making the skill advances more expensive, either way.

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:16 am

Yah, I have no particular attachment to d20. The problem with changing now is that everyone will have to change their skills.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:57 pm

If we are making skills more expensive, we are going to have to anyway. My 25 points won't stretch as far, or you'll be retroactively giving everyone more points making us even stronger than our enemies.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 am

Dustin - I would suggest if you wanted to make piloting part of defense, we start with a to-hit of 7 or 8 and only allow a few points into piloting (like a +2 is above average, and a +5 is an exceptional pilot). That way, you're shooting at DC's between 8 and 12 before you figure in movement and such.

But I'm happy with a straight DC10 to keep things simple.

Ok, so I want to hear from the other players. Do we switch to 2d6, or try to stay with 1d20?

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:18 am

I will play whatever you feel more comfortable running.

It might be easier to just switch back to the original instead of trying to fix the mechanics at this point.

If we stay with with the d20 version (in progress) we would need to make the mech defense be a base 10 and add on the movement/piloting/range modifiers.
"I beat Dungeons & Dragons....and it was Advanced!" - Pierce Hawthorne

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:03 am

I think we will switch back to 2d6. There's really no advantage to staying in 1d20. However, that will mean that everyone will need to refactor their skills. I'm thinking 15 points, and you pay full cost of the level you're going to? If you put all 15 points into one skill, you could get it to 5 ranks with 15 points.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Does that 15 points include the bonus point we were awarded two weeks ago?

Additionally, which Mech did I end up with?

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:41 am

Yes, it includes those, but they don't go as far as they used to. The battle was a lot of running around not hitting anything, so they're still on the planet.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:43 am

So I'm still in the armless one with the lasers I can't really use?

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Yes, each one has its own "quirks".

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Is there a Defense Skill?

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Yes, but it doesn't factor into mech combat.