Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sneak attack

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:09 pm

I've been reading some about sneak attack since I'm playing a rogue. A big difference from 3.5 is that you can only sneak attack with finesse or ranged weapons. This leads me to a question. Does a melee weapon with the thrown descriptor count as a ranged weapon for purposes of sneak attack? It should count on a dagger because daggers also have the finesse descriptor. But what about a hand axe? A hand axe has is not labeled as a finesse weapon. So can a rogue use a hand axe for sneak attack if he throws it but not if he wields it in melee?

I'm leaning toward sneak attack is only available on a thrown weapon if it also has finesse or the ranged descriptor. I think that limits it to just daggers and maybe darts.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

bitweever
Site Admin

Re: Sneak attack

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:51 pm

I would rule that a ranged weapon is any weapon used at range, including handaxes. Which kind of leads to a weird situation where being able to sneak attack depends on how you use the weapon.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:52 pm

When I was thinking about it last night it occurred to me they are trying to connect sneak attack with dexterity. So I would say that the hand axe wouldn't allow sneak attack when thrown because you still use strength for hit and damage roles with a hand axe. It would apply to a dagger when you use dexterity as the modifier.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:52 am

Shawn, that seems to be the consensus on the Wizards boards as well. Ranged is a weapon quality, not a description of the action. Similarly, even though lots of spells can be used at range, they don't qualify for Sneak Attack either. Effectively, if you could* use your Dex to attack, it qualifies for Sneak Attack. If you can't use Dex for your attack roll, you cannot sneak attack with it (unless a specific rule says otherwise).

*I say "could" because you have the option to use your Strength with Finesse weapons, if you wanted, and they would still allow Sneak Attack.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

bitweever
Site Admin

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:13 am

Seems like there could be a feat to allow thrown weapon sneak attacks.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Potentially there will be magic properties that could convert a weapon into a finesse weapon.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?