Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

bitweever
Site Admin

Just wanted to clarify...

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:32 am

I feel I owe you guys an explanation on Brian's scouting... (and I apologize for not emphasizing this at the time)

Brian walked around the castle, sure, and got his passive perception the entire time. What I was waiting on before he got a perception check was some sort of notion of what he was looking for, or where he was looking. "I watch the castle for a few minutes to see who's coming or going." "I look more closely at the wall of rubble." "I look for any tracks leading to and from this part of the castle." Something like that.

And I don't say this as 'what Brian did wrong' (because there's lots of things I could have done better), but more about our preferred method of play.

I'd like to move away from this:
DM: "You walk into a room. A desk stands in the corner. A bed is on the far wall, and a chest is at the foot of the bed."
Player: "I search everything in the room"
DM: "Roll a perception"
Player: <rolls a 20 on his perception>
DM: "You find 15 electrum, a magic sword, and a jade elephant in the chest. Under the bed, you find two scrolls of Fireball, and another magic sword. In the desk, you find a map to the secret hideout, and another magic sword."

And more to this:
DM: "You walk into a room. A desk stands in the corner. A bed is on the far wall, and a chest is at the foot of the bed."
Player 1: "I'll search the desk" <rolls>
Player 2: "While he searches the desk, I'll look through the chest." <rolls>
Player 3: "I'll turn over the bed and see if there's anything under it." <rolls>

Not only is it more descriptive, It gets everyone involved, and is less about who can roll the highest the fastest.

I've thought about making the search rolls for the players -- I don't think you're supposed to know when you fail to notice something. it just sucks that the players wouldn't get to roll the die.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.