Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Mass Combat Rules

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:02 am

One of Paizo's third party publishers, Adamant Entertainment, is releasing a book next month containing mass combat rules fully compatible with the Pathfinder rules. It was actually designed with Pathfinder in mind. Hank Woon, one of the writers of both the core rules and bestiary for Pathfinder, is the lead writer of the system.

This is their titled blurb posted at Paizo's forum.
The clash of grand armies comes to your game world! Designed by Hank Woon (Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook, Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary) and extensively playtested, WARPATH is a complete set of rules designed to give Game Masters and players all the tools they need to run anything from a tiny border skirmish to an all-out epic battle involving thousands of soldiers. The rules can be used for units as small as one to as many as needed, and is designed to be fully compatible with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game system.

The 96-page rulebook contains rules for:

* Unit Design
* Combat and Tactics
* Battlefield Maneuvers
* Spells and Spell-like Abilities
* Army Leaders
* Battlefield Design and Set-up
* Casualties, Prisoners and Consequences
* Siege Warfare and Fortifications
* A Quick-play version of the rules for fast results
* Campaign rules, example units and battlefields, and More!
Here is the relevant thread. Of note are the posts by Hank Woon himself on how the system works. It is on sale from Paizo and Adamant's own site, although Adamant's site is currently under a redesign, so that link doesn't work right now.

As we have a major siege going on at Tir Castellan and some major battles coming up with Manath, I thought these rules might be useful. Or not. They are also supposed to be a fun game in their own right.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Re: Mass Combat Rules

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:47 am

I approve of this mass combat system.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:15 pm

So the system is online and available here and I'm considering shelling out the 10 bucks for the .pdf. The question is, if I purchase it, would anyone else be willing to use it? The preliminary review are rather positive.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:29 am

Seems like there's often a big battle in most campaigns, where the heroes are only part of it. If the mass combat rules are straightforward, not cumbersome, and dovetail into Pathfinder properly, then it might be cool. It would be especially cool if, at higher levels, we were put in charge of our own armies and could use the mass combat rules to control them at a game's climax.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Yep. I'd like that.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:33 pm

According to Hank Woon, the author, this is exactly what these rules are supposed to do. I'll purchase a copy of the .pdf and see about getting it printed out at Kinko's or something.

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:39 pm

Or, you know, just give us the PDF...
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Technically, since it's personalized to me, I can't legally do that. I can, however, print myself out a hard copy and bring that.