Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Austin's 5e Game

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:58 pm

It's more than a few weeks away from starting (at this rate, it looks like late October/early November at best), but I wanted to go ahead and give you all the premise of the game I'll be running so that characters can be discussed and backstories can be woven together.

You'll be starting in a small fishing village called Northaven at the mouth of the Golden River, in northeast Arnland, in Aruthien. You are an established mercenary company, who has protected trade caravans and dignitaries who travel up and down the Ungen River to Tir Navoth. Your most recent client, a pompous merchant named Vincenzio, purchased your services to travel from Tir Navoth to Northaven. Upon arrival in Northaven, the village's mayor Hrothulf, has sought your services to help him track down the missing caravans coming up river from Cold Lake. It is the Autumn of 202 TC, and a harsh winter without a caravan supply would likely doom the small village.

Build level 1 characters from the Kingdoms. You can go exotic (dragonborn, tiefling, etc.) if you'd like, but be sure to justify why they are in Eian and be prepared for some sideways glances from the locals. Nothing is off-limits as far as class, but having some balance will be helpful. You'll start with the base kit from the PHB. Feel free to post character ideas and backstories and we can start working on building character familiarity.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Re: Austin's 5e Game

Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Sounds fun!

And somewhat chilly. :)
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:00 pm

The plan discussed on Saturday was to meet on Nov 7 to build characters, discuss backstories and maybe play a board game or so. And then the actual game would start in December (provided we can find a weekend to do it).

If you already know what you are going to play, post it here so that others can be aware.
Pillows are designed for relaxation. If they are fighting, what hope do we have?

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Considering what part of the world we're from, I'm playing an old, chubby, bearded wizard in a red suit that has a bag of holding. His familiar is a reindeer with a perpetual 'light' spell cast on its nose.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:47 pm

Is this chubby wizard a jolly old elf?

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:26 pm

Elves can't get fat.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:31 pm

Thinking of this more, since I'll likely be human, it would make sense to be part of the Fox Jotunn. I'll probably have Ravenkiller as a last name. So, I'll be playing a Human (Jotunn) Circle of the Moon Druid.

EDIT: Leaning toward the name Torfeg. It just sounds Jotunn to me. Torfeg Ravenkiller.

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:42 pm

I guess I should also mention that he will most likely be a near-feral force of nature. So, I'll need a reason to be there besides promises of gold and treasure.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:16 pm

Update: I have been informed that I have to be at a toddler's birthday party Saturday midday. I will be going to another one the weekend after. Having niblings is difficult. So, do we want to meet on a Sunday instead?

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:43 am

I'm ok with that.

oathbinder
Minor god

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:55 pm

I could make it on Sunday.
“Promise me… whatever happens, where ever you go… don’t let them eat my dog.” Lewis Gates- Last of the dog men

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:01 pm

I can do Sunday, just need to know what time.
"I beat Dungeons & Dragons....and it was Advanced!" - Pierce Hawthorne

oathbinder
Minor god

Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:26 pm

So are we doing tomorrow at Austin place 3 o'clock?
“Promise me… whatever happens, where ever you go… don’t let them eat my dog.” Lewis Gates- Last of the dog men

bitweever
Site Admin

Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:45 am

I'm in. I texted Shawn; he's busy, but he said to post the character generation method, and he'll be ready for the game.

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:48 pm

Use the standard array found on page 13 of the PHB. In case you don't want to look it up, it's 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Apply the scores in any order you like, then add your racial bonuses. You don't get to subtract from any scores to add to any others, just the array as written. Any race or class is acceptable. If you are wanting to play a Kingdoms' race that doesn't have established stats yet for 5e (like a firbolg), let me know and we'll work something out.

I will post the rough builds (class, race, nationality and "theme") that we come up with today, along with general backstories as presented. Keep in mind that this is taking place post-Grand Campaign, so keep in mind the political tensions that are still present. Whatever your character, make sure they have a decent reason to not be somewhere else and a decent reason to care about the safety and well-being of the other players' characters. It wouldn't hurt if the characters aren't anti-Aruthien (as the bulk of the action will take place there).

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:16 pm

Characters so far:
Greg - Human, fox Jotunn druid - a bit feral, has visions/portents of doom (Torfeg!)
Mark - Tir Sylvanian wood elf, thief, ex-Aruthien military scout - is AWOL from legion service in the west
Wink - Silverhammer dwarf, cleric of Gromm - served alongside Aligindel in battles against Redstone Spur, court martialed from duty
Brian - Draag human barbarian, possible connections to Newholm and the Draconis

I believe that Shawn had mentioned something about a fire evoker. I have no idea what Lee wants to play, or Jay if he is joining us.

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Shawn - Elven fire evoker named Rillion. He is the son the Zarion, who was a classmate of Fir, Ash Stoneskipper, Arasmus, Erasme, Armando, and Ossius at the Barlozian College of Magic. His father is related to the ruling family of Misten City but Rillion grew up in Firforge. His family left Firforge when Misten was annexed into Aligendel.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:19 pm

Keep in mind that all of those Barlozian connections may be looked askew in Aruthien, due to the recent hostilities over Tantathia. Not discouraging that angle in the slightest; just reminding you it was there.

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:13 pm

The tensions between Barloz and Aruthien/Aligendel are the reason why Rillion's family leaves Firforge. And the mistrust in Aruthien and Aligendel of someone who grew up in Barloz is why he is willing to take a job in a place like Northaven.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

bitweever
Site Admin

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Is it even really Aruthien, though? It's annexed wasteland. Do they even care about what's going on in Aruthien proper?

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:05 am

The folks in Tir Navoth would probably care. The folks in Northaven probably will be less fussed. Alternately, like small town America, they may be super nationalistic. You don't know, you've not been there before. *wink*

nbrs6121
Forger of Worlds

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:51 pm

As a reminder, we are planning for Session #1 to be on December 5th. Meet at noonish, and I'd like to start rolling dice and playing roles by 1 pm. Someone may need to let Wink know.

alphalupine
Minion

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:29 pm

Greg has reactivated my account. I will be there on December 5th at noon. I'll post up a more complete back story to my dwarf soon...
Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once.

-William Shakespeare

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:14 pm

Don't think of it as wasteland, think of it as Canada.

Oh, wait ...
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod