Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Braains . . .

Tue May 16, 2006 8:31 pm

Okay, minus the subject line, I have a question. I'm a big fan of the zombie survival genre. Think Resident Evil meets a quality version of Dawn of the Dead. It's kind of a fun pastime to think of ways you could be resourceful enough to survive a zombie invasion. Are there any RPGs devoted to zombie survival stuff? I assume a Cthulhu game could be adapted for such, but I wasn't sure if you guys knew of anything.
Consistency - It's not just a river in Egypt.

amazon
Immortal

Tue May 16, 2006 9:06 pm

Sounds interesting especially if it was like Sean of the Dead
Paddle faster, I think I hear banjos.

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue May 16, 2006 10:16 pm

It just depends. If you want it to be zombies in modern day or the 1920s, you can do that with either d20 Modern or Chtluhu. Just depends on how you want the 'feel' of the game to be. If it's to be hopeless, dire, and scary, then Chtluhu, if you want it to be 'Army of Darkness', then d20M. If you want it to be superheroes, there's a system called 'Mutants and Masterminds'. Not sure if you know about that one.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Wed May 17, 2006 6:40 am

Parts of the western game I ran a few years back had zombies & skeletons in it. It was in the same sense of Resident Evil, just re-kill them without the fear. I used the zombies & skeletons from D&D and put them in the d20. It worked out fine. They eventually learned that you had to bludgeon them instead of shooting to knock them out faster.
"I beat Dungeons & Dragons....and it was Advanced!" - Pierce Hawthorne

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed May 17, 2006 7:15 am

Also, it would depend on how you want the PC's to react. Cthulhu has rules for 'scaring' them; basically adding in a horror factor. Most other game sytems don't have rules for that, so unless your heroes role-play being freaked out by zombies, they can just dive in and start killing 'em off.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Wed May 17, 2006 6:49 pm

I kind of like the Resident Evil approach in that they have the capacity to break through stuff and scare the bejeezus out of you, but you're able to act in an appropriate fashion when they're slowly advancing towards you. Kind of a reaction roll thing, I guess.
I'm not really sure why I like the genre so much, just always been a fan.

bitweever
Site Admin

Wed May 17, 2006 9:54 pm

Brian had zombies in his Western, you might ask him about it.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

nfguinn
Forger of Worlds

Thu May 18, 2006 8:49 am

Cthulu is the best for the reaction roll this like Dustin said. You have an insanity score and roll against it. If you fail the roll then you lose lots of sanity and could possibly become a mumbling drooling idiot. Or something like that...

Honestly, the supernatural games we have played in other D20 Modern games were fun but if you want to scare people don't waste your time with anything but Cthulu.

D20 Modern is like Doom - oooo monsters kill them!

CoC is like dawn of the dead. - z z z Zombies! RUN!!!

Or something like that anyway.

Also in CoC most people should build two characters. It is that nasty. Just ask me I'll tell you!
Suki desu kada Nihongo de hanashitai desu.

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Thu May 18, 2006 12:54 pm

Hey Nick! Is CoC so nasty you should build 2 characters?

:lol:
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

nfguinn
Forger of Worlds

Thu May 18, 2006 2:02 pm

Yes!
Suki desu kada Nihongo de hanashitai desu.

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu May 18, 2006 2:13 pm

Yes, in CoC, you usually don't want to stay and fight. Especially if you are a first level character...

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Thu May 18, 2006 8:21 pm

Hey Greg, try following a thread since I mentioned the zombies from my western game already. He's still in Tulsa, but his mind is in the forest on a "camp out."

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu May 18, 2006 10:01 pm

Oh, Brian, there you are. Chris was wanting to run a game with zombies in it. I told him you might be able to help him.

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Fri May 19, 2006 6:32 am

Greg's still caught in that time shift paradox. I thought it was only limited to one end of the dining room table at Mark's, but apparently it follows Greg around.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:16 pm

This is probably poorly timed, considering the work we're doing on the space game, but I can't sleep and wanted to get this on paper. So to speak.
One thing I like about the zombie survival genre is the universality of it. That is to say, every time you see a zombie movie, it's not just localized in one area, it's a state/nation/worldwide problem. Resident Evil was something of an exception that hard and fast rule, but there you are. Ultimately, what I'm seeing with this is that any ambitious (or unambitious) GM who wanted to run this system could go to City Hall, get a city or town map, plunk it down, and say "Here's where the game is set."
It also strikes me that there would be one main goal. Survive. Of course, there are several subgoals that would be integral to the game. Looking at the movies, there were several issues that were "do-or-die," as it were, such as travel, supplies, food & water, communication, figuring out where the holy heck these undead brain eaters came from, etc. Of course, the figuring out aspect would be more of a campaign goal than a short term survival goal. Which brings me to my next point.
We've discussed the idea of universality, running Zombie Survival: Skiatook and Zombie Survival: Tulsa basically being the same thing. Here's where it could get really interesting. Applying the same universal idea, you can start a game in Skiatook, Owasso, Tulsa, etc., and wind up pretty much anywhere, with the same problems, of course. Moving from one building to another would require a check to see if there were any zombies, and if so, how many, etc. Town to town travel would be a la Mad Max with a few undeads thrown in for good measure. Also, you have the idea of early vs. late infestation. Early zombie infestation would have fewer zombies, more humans, ostensibly less trouble getting around, but more competition for needed supplies, possibly leading to human vs. human violence. Late infestation means not only more zombies, but also opens up the possibility of more advanced ones. An interesting discussion that's popped up of late is the difference in zombies now and in yesteryear's movies. The original Night of the Living Dead had the zombies as slow, shambling creatures, where the most recent Dawn of the Dead (don't bother renting it unless you just want to be insulted) had the zombies being able to use a full range of motion, including running, climbing, opening doors, etc. Let's say just for the sake of argument that the "zombie problem" is caused by a virus. Okay, so the virus mutates. It still destroys the part of the brain that controls emotion, morality, aversion to brain-digestion, etc., but leaves the motor functions alone.

Again, this is all wild speculation, but I couldn't sleep and I thought getting this out of my head might help. Feel free to post constructive thoughts or haranguing insults at your leisure.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:53 am

Zombies with full range-of-motion aren't zombies anymore, they're just cannibals. Well, hard to kill cannibals.

I'd suggest keeping to somewhat traditional zombies if you want the proper zombie feel. Advanced zombies introduced at a later time would be fine, but stock zombies would be better for starters.

I rather like the 'Mad Max' style getting around, but then again that genre appeals to me more than zombie-killing. ;)

Call of Cthulhu style play lets the characters know that they could die at any time ... I'd keep that standard of play for a 'survival' based game.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod