Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

oathbinder
Minor god

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:08 pm

The “bloody eyed” feat is supposed to allow you to shoot a steam of blood like some lizards do. Unfortunately, Chris didn’t have all the prerequisites.
“Promise me… whatever happens, where ever you go… don’t let them eat my dog.” Lewis Gates- Last of the dog men

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:55 pm

Be very careful wrestling with things in the Cthulhu book. ;)
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:15 pm

I know what you mean. I was gazing into the book and I felt as if it was gazing back at me.
Consistency - It's not just a river in Egypt.

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:01 am

Do these help?
Attachments
1431.jpg
1431.jpg (88.55 KiB) Viewed 7415 times
1611.jpg
1611.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:55 am

They don't help with the game, but I think they just improved my workday. The "In case of Zombies" one may become my new computer background.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Zombie Survival Wiki

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:08 am

http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/

This is a wiki I stumbled across online dealing with all things zombie. I'm registered as Blayde (go figure), but there are a few anonymous contributions from myself as well.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:10 am

What if Zombies read the guide?!?
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:16 am

Silly Dustin. Zombies can't read. Besides, it's illegal in the 48 continental states to provide the undead with internet access.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:26 am

So ... it IS legal in Alaska and Hawaii?

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:28 am

Depends on your definition of legal. There's currently no legislation surrounding undead internet access. I'm working on it.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:58 am

Umm ... you just said it was illegal in the lower 48 States.

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:00 am

Yeah, because there's specific legislation. If there's no official law against something, by definition it's technically not illegal.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:08 am

"Besides, it's illegal in the 48 continental states to provide the undead with internet access." 08:16

"There's currently no legislation surrounding undead internet access." 08:28

"Yeah, because there's specific legislation." 09:00

Are you going without your sleep deprivation again?

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:10 am

There's no specific legislation in Alaska and Hawaii. *sigh* Try to follow along.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:18 am

Specific legislation in AK and HI about what?

Wolfgod

Kilcarr
Familiar

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:21 pm

Chris, stop now. This will only end with your low self esteem taking another blow.

I say this as a friend. :P

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:15 am

It's like I never leave work. Ever.

Kilcarr
Familiar

Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:27 pm

Thats it.

Someone is getting a hug when I see him next.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:29 pm

I had a thought over the past couple of weeks. One of the issues that we ran into with the zombie survival game was the difficulty in moving the story. I thought to myself, what if we just set the game in a Stage II Infection timeframe? For the uninitiated, that's where the zeds have become a national crisis, but not quite Stage 3, where they've basically taken over. Think the 1978 Dawn of the Dead as compared to Land of the Dead respectively. If we establish that the zeds are basically a "force of nature" or some other aspect of unchanging reality, you could run whatever type of game (i.e., espionage, Macguffin chasing, etc.) and just have the zombies there as an additional challenge. Thoughts?

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:16 pm

I'm not sure I see how that helps ... you've basically said you'll be running another game with a background of a Zombie infested world. Is that really what you want? (in other words, why do we need the zombies at all, then?)

I think the problem with moving the plot of a Zombie game has more to do with survival; once your characters have enough to survive, you hit the 'then what' problem. Characters have to have a plot hook that motives them to do something other than survive.

Call of Cthulhu faces much the same problems - the characters are confronted with unstoppable or very powerful threats to the existence of reality as we know it. In every Cthulhu game, however, there is a chance to banish the horror back to where it belongs - thereby saving the world, even if nobody knows about it. Since the horrors are out there, they'll keep trying to come back, and you can't tell anyone about it. Good mission hooks and replay-ability.

I think what most Zombie films lack is that sense of mission, and that's why you have trouble moving them into a game - most Zombie films are about survival, and the game 'ends' when the PC's have become strong enough to survive. To move further, you have to have a Cthulhu-esque 'end goal' that will revert the world back to a safe state - which makes replay-ability kind of hard ...

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:48 am

You're definitely on to something there. Still, I have this hunch that the solution is there, I'm just not seeing it at the moment.
On a related note, Cory had suggested that my fascination isn't with zombies as such, but it's more with the post-apocalyptic genre. I would agree with that to some extent. I prefer zombies to nuclear warfare and such, but the post-apocalyptic (even though the usage of the word "apocalypse" is completely incorrect in that sense) genre is one of the foci I had in mind for the game. That said, you're dealing with more than just zeds. You've got brigands, cults, etc. to deal with as well.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:18 am

OK then. Playing Mad Max is always fun. :)

That still leaves us with the same issue of survival - that's what most of the Mad Max movies are about, though you'll notice even they evolve to a higher goal over time.

Same with most of the nuclear war films.

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:18 am

The apocalypse could be brought about by zombies. It's not out of the question.

Some say the world will end with zombies,
Some say with ice.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Jayde
Adventurer

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:16 pm

And from what I have known of ...zombies... nevermind...
"I may not be an adventurer, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am... I am a librarian!"
- Evie in The Mummy

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:19 pm

Thanks for stopping before that got out of hand.

Wolfgod