Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

Blayde
Zombie Bard

The Maiden Voyage of Zombie Survival

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:02 pm

I had mentioned previously that I was going to set up a separate thread for the purpose of posting character information prior to the game actually taking place, and also as a springboard for a discussion of game mechanics and things to improve/fix/etc. Here it is. Please feel free to provide any preliminary thoughts you have for the game as well.
Consistency - It's not just a river in Egypt.

oathbinder
Minor god

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:43 pm

Chris, this is what I have in mind;

Name: Dewayne Jay “Sonny” Path-killer

Profession: Mechanic and “jack of all trades” (blue collar)

Background: Granddad was a Moon shiner, Grandma was full blood Cherokee, Mom was a nurse, and Dad was a stockcar driver. Sonny grew up hunting, fishing and working on cars. After two years of studying drafting in collage, sonny dropped out to work in a paint and body shop. He also makes extra money working as a shade-tree mechanic and a free lance carpenter. Sonny has a broken nose from a man who thought his wife was “seeing that redneck Indian.” Sonny was innocent, but it was easier to fight first and explain him-self later. He normally wears a baseball cap, denim shirt or western shirt with the sleeves removed, jeans and army boots.
“Promise me… whatever happens, where ever you go… don’t let them eat my dog.” Lewis Gates- Last of the dog men

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:43 am

Very nice. Already I think we're starting to get a good atmosphere built up here. One thing I definitely want you all to think about is your mental/emotional state as a character, i.e., what drives you, what you're afraid of, your breaking point, etc. I'm aiming for a lot of psychological trauma with the characters, similar to Cthulhu, but not actually dealing with Sanity as such.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:15 am

Dustin briefly discussed his character with me last Friday. I think that's going to be an excellent addition to the game. Has anybody else had any thoughts thus far?

Raedic
Guardinal

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:58 am

Yes.
Ceeta: You realise you can get ten times the output from a gun less than a tenth that size, don't you?
[ommminous hummmmm]
Schlock: I like the soothing sounds I get out of this one.
Ceeta: The glow of doom from the barrel is a nice touch, too...

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:46 am

Excellent response, Clay.

Here's what I was thinking. Not sure if he'll fit in with the "feel" of the game, but he's who I want to play.

Yoji "Turbo" Tsubasa

Japanese-American daredevil, obsessed with speed. Riding his souped-up Yamaha R6 across America after graduating from technical school. Hates zombies, loves his mama.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:49 pm

I was thinking of playing a grad student who is obsessed with zombie video games and movies. He's actually excited when realizes there are real zombies.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:58 pm

Shawn, that sounds frighteningly close to home. I love it. Clay, thanks for your response. It was both erudite and appropos.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:59 am

One thing I will mention/request. This is far from a finished product. I've got several things in working order, I think, but it's far from a consummate system. That said, be gentle. I'm definitely looking for constructive criticism, but this is more testing the mechanism than a work of art at this point. My vision and the actual game aren't quite matched up yet.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:26 pm

Okay, as promised, here's the information about the character sheets. Go ahead and make up Cthulhu characters on Cthulhu character sheets, but we'll be making a few minor changes. Items such as psychoanalysis, Cthulhu mythos, etc., won't be necessary, and I may want to throw in some additional skills for later usage. Zeds won't be the only threats you guys will encounter down the line.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:07 pm

We'll probably be dealing with a lot of character generation on Friday, but I wanted to give you guys kind of a heads-up as to what I'm looking at. My intention is to start this out with you traveling as a cohesive group. Some of you may have a purpose or something, others, like Greg's character, have just decided "What the heck, I've got nothing else going on." I"m leaning towards the graduate students/banker/retail types as being a group of college friends looking to start a business endeavor, possibly scouting this area out for opportunities. I've also toyed with the idea of you being hired on by a cartography firm or a cell phone company. The area you're going to be in has zero cell phone reception period. GPSs work fine, but you're going to be quite literally in the middle of nowhere. If I come up with something before Friday, I'll post it.

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:04 pm

I could be a college student also. A student majoring in DEATH-DEFYING!
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:35 pm

Well, you had mentioned that you were going to be traveling cross country on your motorcycle as a post-graduation gig.