Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Cryptozoology.mark

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:32 pm

Mark,

For the Crypto game, I'm adding depth the the character I'd like to play. John Red Cloud.

He's a mostly-fullblood Lakota who grew up on the Standing Rock reservation in Wakpala, South Dakota. He was raised pretty traditionally - the old polytheistic Lakota spirits; 'crying for a vision' and so forth. When he was seventeen he lied about his age and joined the U.S. Army.

Army life drove a lot of the old ways into the background of John's character - he started going by John Cloud, and if somebody mistook him for Italian or hispanic, he stopped correcting them. John easily made it into the Rangers and worked his way up to become Sgt. Cloud. He was probably in Afganistan right after September 11th; but in 2003 his enlistment 'ended' and he joined a 'civilian contracting company' (probably CIA) doing 'consulting work' somewhere in the Middle East.

With the Iraq war dying down, John's immediate superiors recommended he get back to the states; it was obvious from his performance that he'd been on the line too long and needed a break.

John Red Cloud is neither a true believer in Crypto nor a skeptic. His upbringing would lead him to accept whatever he sees at face value, and the warrior culture he was raised in (and has been immersed in for many years) would lead him to be pretty stoic about things. Crypto experience might re-awaken some of the dormant Lakota traits in his character as well.

I believe one of the other characters is ex-military, I'd suggest that John knows them and drops in for a visit while he is passing through on the way to South Dakota.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:41 pm

On a purely player note, I'm a trifle confused. Who's running this game again?
Consistency - It's not just a river in Egypt.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:30 pm

Mark - Oathbinder on this board. I just posted this one afternoon for him, since he'd asked me who and what I was going to play.

Glad to see you guys on the board. :D
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:53 pm

Gotcha. I think we've successfully fumbled our way through character creation with a few minor questions. I heard that we're starting off at level 5. Zat so? If that's the case, we need to make some special modifications ourselves.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:30 am

Yep - level 5. I dunno if you guys have looked at them, but there are Prestige classes in the back of the book. Some of 'em aren't bad.

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:08 pm

Briefly. We wanted to be there at character creation before we did anything funky. I'll take another look and see if anything fits my character.

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:44 am

Welcome, Blayde with a 'y'. In case you're curious about the prestiege classes, I don't think you can really get into them until after 5th. I don't think anyone else in the party is in one yet. We're all still the basic classes (strong, fast, tough, smart, dedicated, and um.. likeable).
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:04 pm

I'm in a prestige class. :)

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:08 pm

No you're not, and quit telling people that.

I'd like to be in one, but since I didn't focus on it last time around, I probably won't be able to get in for a level or two. I've thought about playing a new character just so I could get into a PrC, but I'd rather play Truck.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:32 pm

The character I'm not playing has been in a prestige class for 2 levels already (field scientist.) I think Jerry (Nick's character) is in the same prestige class too.
"I beat Dungeons & Dragons....and it was Advanced!" - Pierce Hawthorne

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:58 pm

I'm Tough 4/Soldier 1.

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:11 am

There were a couple of prestige classes that I considered, but none seemed to fit the character, otherwise known as He Who Will Not Be Named. Yet.