Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

bitweever
Site Admin

Trail of Cthulhu Clues

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm

I found this article to be thought-provoking. Not sure anyone else cares about this stuff. I really like ToC for this type of investigative-style game, but I've struggled with the same questions that the author did. Anyone else care to give it a read as well and comment?
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Re: Trail of Cthulhu Clues

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Interesting stuff.

There has to be a mechanism for the PC's to advance the plot. Both Keeper and player prefer games where the players do so on their own initiative.

I think it's interesting to suggest that some non-core clues are passive pickups (You have a high Architecture skill, you get this clue) while others require you to act in some way.

Whatever system is in use, I think it's important for the players to understand what the DM/Keeper is doing. If, for example, I know I'll pick up some clues just by virtue of a high skill, I can play with the assumption that my 'detect architecture' skill is always 'on'. I'll know to ask for specific or esoteric things, and that I'm going to get to roleplay a lot before making a Diplomacy check.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod