Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

oathbinder
Minor god

Background information for the Cthulhu game.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:36 am

Time: the 1920’s

Place: Prague, Czechoslovakia

Stanford Hadley Merrick is a British professor of mythology who currently studying in Prague. Stanford is the fourth son of wealthy landowners in Lincolnshire. Due to his place as the youngest child, Merrick was able to avoid the tedious job of managing the family business and follow his interest in mythology, archeology, and the occult.
Stanford’s interest in the occult would be considered academic in nature, since he studies occult texts and interviews occult figures, but does not engage in occult practices him self. For years the professor has been looking for the origin of some “Universal Myths”; Myths that appear in many cultures all over the globe. This search has led him to Prague, with its medieval libraries and Bronze Age sights out side city itself. In recent months the professor has become fascinated with what he calls“a strange and ancient story which has no analog in the surrounding cultures”. This is the only information about his find that he has given to anyone.

Merrick has set up house in a large cottage in a wealthy suburb just outside the city itself. Being a proper upper class Englishman, he has brought along a small group of loyal servants with him. This group consists of his butler, cook, maid and another male servant. One or more of Merrick’s nieces and nephews often come to stay with there uncle “Stan” for weeks at a time. The professor also has many friends in the intellectual circles of Prague. These circles include academics and artists from all over Europe, the British Commonwealth and the Americas, as well as locals.

More information to follow.

If you have an idea for your character pleas post it.
Last edited by oathbinder on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Promise me… whatever happens, where ever you go… don’t let them eat my dog.” Lewis Gates- Last of the dog men

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:46 am

I'm Master Merrick's batman.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Kilcarr
Familiar

Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:58 am

I'm Master Merrick's batman's bat-mite.

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:54 am

I'm Master Merrick's Robin.

No, actually, I'm Nigel Cook, a documentarian and naturalist (the early word for 'biologist'). I carry a Leica LC-A (early 35mm camera), and am on a project to document as many unusual species as I can.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Whooo-hoo!! Studding in Prague!
"I beat Dungeons & Dragons....and it was Advanced!" - Pierce Hawthorne

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:57 pm

Hehe, completely missed that.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:07 pm

Mark, if you want to go ahead and run after Brian's game that is fine. I'm not really ready yet and will be pretty busy the next few weeks.

I haven't decided what I'll play yet. Tammy said she is going to play but isn't sure what yet.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

oathbinder
Minor god

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:35 pm

More information

Prague, 1925

• With the collapse of the Habsburg monarchy at the end of World War I in 1918, the independent country of Czechoslovakia was formed with Prague as its capital. In 1922 Great Prague created by uniting Prague with its suburbs and neighboring towns. The city itself has a long history. Situated on the Vltava river in central Bohemia, Prague has been the political, cultural and economical center of the Czech state for over 1000 years. For most of its history, Prague had been an ethnically mixed city with important Czech, German, and Jewish populations. In recent times racial tensions have at times erupted into isolated violence. Prague is also thought to have a great deal of occult activity going on behind the scenes.
“Promise me… whatever happens, where ever you go… don’t let them eat my dog.” Lewis Gates- Last of the dog men

Jayde
Adventurer

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:49 am

I'm Artemis Merrick, Stan's niece. He's much more a father figure to me than my own father. He even named me.

I have a degree in medieval literature, and enjoy antiquities in the greater part because of what I have learned from my uncle, but I also enjoy artefacts for their intrinsic monetary value. :)
Last edited by Jayde on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I may not be an adventurer, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am... I am a librarian!"
- Evie in The Mummy

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:19 am

Born in Castleford, West Riding, Yorkshire, England in 1898, John Sharpe served as a Sergeant in the Life Guards during the Great War. He was wounded in action with the Machine-Gun Company at Passchendaele in 1917. He was transferred to HQ for his recovery; it was there he first met Doctor Merrick and became his batman. After the war, Sharpe continued in the Doctor's employ as his manservant.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:00 pm

Tammy was talking about being a part of the professor's staff. Her background would be as a nurse from the war. She was probably a nurse at the hospital where John Sharpe was.

I think I'm going to play one of the professor's nephews. I'm basically a worthless lay about who stays with the professor to avoid taking responsibility in the family business back home. I don't believe in any of the supernatural stuff he's always talking about.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:37 pm

Tammy is playing Daphne Barker, a nurse who lost her husband in the war. After her husband's death she joined the military to help other wounded soldiers. She helped care for John Sharpe at the HQ hospital and met Dr. Merrick while there. After the war she joined the doctor's staff.

I will be J. Oliver Merrick, Stan's nephew. I almost finished my degree in Divinity from Oxford but dropped out after the death of a close friend. I have no interest in the family businesses so I have run away to Prague to avoid responsibility.
-Ready Player One

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:23 pm

When rolling our stats, do we re-roll 1's?

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Not for Cthluhu. Your stats suck, remember?

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:17 pm

That's what I thought, but some one mentioned that we were supposed to re-roll ones last week.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:19 pm

I thought we always used the same character generation technique?

Wolfgod

oathbinder
Minor god

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:07 pm

Don’t re-roll ones, unless you roll a total of 3.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Right then. I'll have to redo my character.

Wolfgod

Dirlone
Elemental god

Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:29 am

Ira Jonas Van Ryse was born in 1883 to Dutch parents who emigrated to the United States in 1885. Jonas learned Dutch from his parents, German from the neighborhood they lived (mostly German immigrants), and English from the many employers he had starting when he was 8 years old. He had little formal education as a child, but educated himself in Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy, Medicine, and Latin. Jonas attended university at Emmanuel College in the University of Cambridge. He paid for it with the little money his parents had saved and from two jobs: assistant to a chemist and unloading railway cars. He graduated with honors with a medical degree, and soon after, he met his wife Lady Claudia Shipley (her mother had married American money but had been born with a worthless title). Jonas and his wife have been separated for the last 12 years (according to the gossip columns). They keep in good contact by post and telephone, and (according to Claudia's friends) are still as close now as they were when they married. No one knows why Jonas left to study abroad, but he has been known to have travelled to New England, Asia, the Middle East, Northern Africa, and Europe. He is currently in Prague but still sends all his correspondence to Claudia's home in Rutland, England.
Dirlone

nfguinn
Forger of Worlds

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:04 am

Wow Jay, good history.
Suki desu kada Nihongo de hanashitai desu.

bitweever
Site Admin

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:11 am

RUTLAND??!?

Dirlone
Elemental god

Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:41 pm

Lots of places have a Rutland...
Dirlone