Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:31 am

Basically the way I do this is that the ship is party property, which precludes any conflicts over who gets what bunk and who has to sleep in the same room with the Wookiee. Brian, as you're the pilot, naming conventions belong to you, but the ship is company property. This also benefits you as you can write this off on your mercenary 1040-IG-88 tax forms.
Consistency - It's not just a river in Egypt.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:17 pm

Chris,

Should Clay or I (or Clay and I) kitbash or a scratchbuild freighter for the group (probably in scale or close to scale to the minis) for use in the Star Wars game, can we use it instead of the Ghtroc flying sea-turtle? I think Clay has an old YT-1210 conversion on the shelf, along with a stretched YT-2300.

This is not just a clever plot to get us an AT-AT. I swear.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:04 pm

I'm not married to the Ghtroc idea. If you guys want a different model or a completely brand new look, I'm good with that. If it's something exotic, I just need a back story and then I'll assign stats to it. To answer your question, yeah, building a freighter sounds cool. Looking forward to seeing it.

bitweever
Site Admin

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:47 pm

Chris-
Since Rook has a bit of a history, can I have the head of an M-3PO? I can come up with some back story about losing his body (explosion, gambling debt to Subunctious Indaharr, etc), and replace it when I get the funds. The droid is part of his idiom, you see.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:59 pm

Bring me the head of M3P0.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:12 pm

I've been trying to get ideas for the transport ship that we might want to be cruising the galaxy in. WotC has apparently not published a new Spaceships of the Galaxy book since before the revised book in 2002. I have a downloaded copy of the Spaceships of the Galaxy book (pub. 2001) and the web enchancement document called More Spaceships! (pub. 2001)
"I beat Dungeons & Dragons....and it was Advanced!" - Pierce Hawthorne

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:32 am

Greg:

Am I to understand that Rook is a human (or humanoid being) with a regular body and a droid head? There have been reports of people having their consciousnesses transferred to droid bodies to save their lives, but it required some kind of Force thing. Unless you're a Jedi master yourself, or know one who's absolutely bing crazy, I'd need a convincing explanation as to how and why it is.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:35 am

If anyone was looking to purchase the books for their personal use, check this link out.

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts ... GenreID_E_

This is Noble Knight Games, and I've purchased quite a lot from here. They're good.

bitweever
Site Admin

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:42 am

Chris-
No, that's not quite what I meant (although it is funny). Rook is a regular human with all human parts. But, he likes droids. He used to possess a M-3PO sidekick, who acted as a hired gun, and translator. Since I won't be able to afford a full M-3PO sidekick, I was wondering if I could at least have the head of one since he had one before. That way, it's not like he lost his droid, just that something happened to the body.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:11 pm

Well, yes, that makes quite a bit more sense. There for a second, I thought you'd lost all pretense of sanity. Yes, no problem with the M-3PO head. We'll figure out a cost Friday.

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:20 pm

I guess I never really got around to making my point/question. Since there isn't an updated spaceship guide since the revised edition core rulebook, can we still use the ships found in the older book. I'm guessing that they felt the stats they already had were fine. I'll see about comparing the stats between editions to see if there's a difference.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:48 pm

As long as there's no significant difference, that sounds perfectly fine to me. I'll confirm all this on Friday, of course, but everything you've asked (aside from the red, flying, hyperspace capable AT-AT) sounds fine.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:35 pm

Brian,

Skill question (that you might not have an answer to yet) - are you planning on taking Astrogation? If you are, I won't put points into it. If not, or you want somebody else able to run the nav computer, I'll go ahead and take the skill.

Chris,

If we take Craft skills, will we ever get the chance to use 'em, or should we spend our skill points on more active skills? I'm thinking of taking Craft Blasters and Craft Armor. (In a lot of Nick's games, you never sit still enough to craft anything, or modify stuff. Just seeing if the skill is useful).

Cory,

Shall I take Repair as a skill? I assume your character will be a skillful mechanic, but was wondering if you'd want help with mechanical stuff. I'm pretty sure you'll be better, but like Astrogation it can't hurt to have more than one mechanic. :)

Wolfgod

nfguinn
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:02 pm

I suppose I can fix the security on a ship. Not that their is much security or anything.

Being the B&E guy means I won't be worth much in the air. Oh well.
Suki desu kada Nihongo de hanashitai desu.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:16 pm

One of the benefits of running a Star Wars game (at least for the characters involved) is there is a lot of downtime in hyperspace. Ergo, if you were wanting to build or modify a blaster, you would have plenty of time between jumps to take care of that.

On a side note, it almost sounds like you all have your characters pretty much figured out and rolled up, with the exception of a few GM approval issues. Let me know if this is accurate or not. If the characters are mostly set up, we can jump right in to a game on Friday. If not, we'll work on character set up and stuff. Cory won't be able to attend Friday, and I have to work early Saturday morning, so if those are deciding factors, speak now.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:17 pm

On second thought, given the time constraints I'm working with, and the absence of Cory (and possibly others) a group get-together planning session might be exactly the thing. Let's just plan on that. That will give us all some time to get used to the system and smooth out some kinks as well.

Edelred
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:24 pm

Well I compared the stats of the YT-1300 in the old & revised books. The stats are the same. The main difference was that one or two of the terms that were used in the stats were different in the revised edition. SO, I think they'll still work. I'll make sure to put a copy of the Starships of the Galaxy on my flash drive and bring it on Friday. I also have the Dark Side Sourcebook on my computer too.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:28 pm

I think that'll be fine - I'd like to develop character and group a bit more than what we've got already. I know about my character, but not other folks or how we're supposed to fit together as a team. Or if we're a team yet. :) (obviously we have a ship, but I dunno why we have a ship. )

I've got an thought for how I want Bolo to end up, but not so much where he is right now. It's hard to make a level 1 character with history :)

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:50 am

I'll need some time with the books to get my character up to speed. I know what I want to do but have to see what's possible in the game. Nick and I will also probably need some time to sync up our characters.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Jayde
Adventurer

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:07 am

Dustin,

As far as repair goes, I have a pretty high skill, but I wouldn't mind having a little help in the mechanical department. If you want to take it, but if you don't, I think I can cover it. In other words, it's no pressure, just do what you think fits your character.
"I may not be an adventurer, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am... I am a librarian!"
- Evie in The Mummy

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:04 pm

Right now I'm planning on it - it fits some of the craft skills I want to build up as well. :)

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:37 pm

"Craft skills ... build up" - I get it.

I'll probably have some Repair as well, so I can fix droids. I never really got that. I know how to build a droid (with a Craft skill), but when it comes to re-building one, I'm completely lost without a Repair skill.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:07 pm

I bet you'd get a synergy bonus for having Craft Droid when trying to fix a droid. I think you're looking at it backwards - with repair, you could fix a droid, but you couldn't build one from scratch. Also, with repair, you could fix a broken droid, but only restoring it to its original function or something very like it. It would take craft I think to rebuild a droid to a new function - like taking a protocol droid and giving it assassination programming - would likely require crafting.

Wolfgod

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:49 pm

That also fits with what I understand, Dustin. Repair would constitute fixing something as to its original programming/function whereas Craft would be more of a modification roll. I'll do some digging and confirm that.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:57 pm

Improvements seem to require craft too - upgrading the ship's systems would require craft checks.

Wolfgod