Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

Intro

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:04 pm

This is an area to post ideas for development of a sci-fi universe. I would like to develop this area much like the 5 Kingdoms. Everyone take a region. Create the region and the races that are found there.

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:08 am

Are following the idea that humans came from Earth, or are we in a galaxy a little far away? Or are we using the idea that we're far enough in the future that earth is a mostly forgotten legend?
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:18 am

I'm a little partial, but I like the idea of being in another galaxy. That gives us a clean slate to work with, no Earther politics or organizations to worry about. Gives us plenty of room to design our own political system and underworld organizations.

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:24 am

Apparently this isn't password protected. All these guests.
Consistency - It's not just a river in Egypt.

bitweever
Site Admin

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:05 am

Ok, turned off Guest access. Who was that?
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:23 am

I think that was Clay posting as "Guest".

My main thing is that I'm pulling a lot of names, concepts and mythology from some Native American sources, primarily the Iroquois Nations. If we're in a separate galaxy I guess I'll just use these as original origins instead of from Earth. Or just say it's based on traditions from an old planet that no one recalls. Earth may have existed at one time or may not have. It's really doesn't matter in the course of theirr history.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:37 am

I'm using Earth names for some of my folks, but I'm working on the assumption that Earth/Terran culture itself is a legend. Humans might've come from Earth a long time ago, but it isn't anywhere nearby.

Oh, and if everybody's happy with it, Nick and I suggest the guideline of no FTL communications between star systems. Inside system high-speed comms are fine, but we rather liked the idea of the fastest way news travels is by courier ship. The Uhlani I'm working up, while set up to be mildly oppressive forces of order, at least run the mail and report the news through a system of courier ships.
Last edited by Wolfgod on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:40 am

I'm sort of bleh on aliens, so the races that I came up with are more or less human. They may have skill bonuses just based on where they're from, but no stat bonuses.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:42 am

Might also be human 'stock' so far removed from Earth that they've adapted to the local environment, or been engineered, or maybe even cross-bred with near-human alien races.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:05 pm

I have no problem with no FTL communication. My group is fairly isolationist so alien couriers are probably only going to be allowed into select systems. We'll distribute everything else ourselves.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:09 pm

Good, that's how I'd prefer to handle things too. The Uhlani would wheedle and complain that once their courier system served every inhabited world (of any importance) throughout the known galaxy, but they don't really have enough couriers for every world anymore anyways.

Wolfgod

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Guidelines

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:30 pm

Clay and I talked about this a bit this afternoon, and we're going to be stealing heavily from parts of D20 star wars (since D20 future is generic in spots).

Guideline suggestion: In order to open a 'jump point' a ship must be at least Large size class (100 meters or longer). It might be possible for high-tech ships of advanced races to form jump points with smaller vessels, but it should be rare.

We're looking at a mix of PL 6 and PL 7 technology; it's possibly that we just have PL7 races living near the PL 6 races and they'd be far more comfortable selling them energy weapons and mini power plants than gravetic stardrives. Regardless, I think we can use PL 6 and 7 gear, though we wanted to keep the 'player' races/powers without artificial gravity on their starships. Some of the PL8 personal gear isn't all that much better, for that matter. It might be rare or more expensive, we'll see.

BTW, Chris and/or Cory, we're building a 'generic' sci-fi universe to play games in that don't necessarily need to be Star Wars or a specific setting like it. You guys are more than welcome to develop whatever you'd like, be in a single planet, an alien race, or a local power. We're still setting the guidelines for all that sort of thing.

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:26 am

I was thinking that ships that could make a jump point may have the capability to produce artificial gravity. It just seemed to me the tech would be somewhat interrelated. I'll need to look at how ships are handle in D20 future and Star Wars. I ordered the books earlier this month but didn't notice that 1 book was 4-6 weeks for delivery so I haven't got anything yet. I've assumed that 1 man fighters would be something like tiny or even dimunitivie. I would figure Confed gunboats are small and the fleet ships would be medium. If not I can adjust things to where we simply didn't have jump point tech yet. I'll just have to see what tech levels and ship design is like once I have access to a book.

So far I've just really enjoyed designing worlds and governments. I've been thinking of something like this for a few years now. I have a few other ideas and may introduce an additional race or government.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:40 am

Most of what Clay and I were looking at concerning ship design was stolen from Star Wars. D20F has some design rules, but I think the Star Wars ones are slightly better, IMO. Fighters are tiny or small, ships like the Falcon are Medium, etc. In Star Wars terms you'd have to be a Nebulon B frigate to open your own Jump Points, or maybe a Corellian Corvette.

The more I look at the PL/tech levels in D20F the less happy I am with them ... We might do better assigning our own.

Wolfgod

Raedic
Guardinal

Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:47 am

Oddly enough I just posted a blurb about tech level. I think we should steal the tech tree from Space Opera. Dustin, I think you have a copy. Get it out and take a look.
Ceeta: You realise you can get ten times the output from a gun less than a tenth that size, don't you?
[ommminous hummmmm]
Schlock: I like the soothing sounds I get out of this one.
Ceeta: The glow of doom from the barrel is a nice touch, too...

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:34 am

I've been trying to figure how the sizes relate to carrying other ships. If my fleet ships are medium will they be able to act as carriers for the tiny and small ships. I know we're still early in the process. A lot of this will get worked out as we design the system.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 pm

Assuming everything works out, we'll be adapting a very nice starship construction system to D20. (the same system also works for vehicle construction, so we'll likely adapt it as well if time permits). I'm having a little trouble with some of the stats, but I'm using Star Wars as a guide for what size ships should do which.

With Greg's help, the whole system will be a script or (ideally) web page that simply prompts for entries and displays options for ship construction. No math, no rulebooks, just easy web-based starship building. Should be fast and simple enough that everybody can build as many ships, civilian or military, as they might wish, and then store the stats on the web page or in a Wiki if we decide this deserves one.

Wolfgod

Kilcarr
Familiar

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:22 pm

Are you guys designing your own game in this section? Can anyone contribute?

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Yes, absolutely! We've only been waiting a year for your input!

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:20 pm

We're not actually designing a game so much as background material, rules themselves will likely be D20 with a lot stolen from Star Wars or D&D or Modern or whatever fits.

Mainly we're building a sci-fi universe itself; a place to play should we wish it.

Wolfgod

Kilcarr
Familiar

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:17 pm

bitweever wrote:
Yes, absolutely! We've only been waiting a year for your input!

HOORAY!!! I LOVE FEELIN' IMPORTANT!!!