Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

The Confederation

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:53 pm

The Confederation
TL 6

The Confederation was formed by a large group of humans who have adopted traditions from the ancient Iroquois culture and some others They scouted carefully and found 8 systems with habitable planets or moons within close proximity. The Confederation was founded about 300 years ago with the original systems of Iroquois, Seneca, Mohawk, Tuscarora, Cherokee, Onondaga, Cayuga and Oneida. About 200 years ago they colonized some mining colonies in systems with no habitable worlds. They were named Onatha, Yosheka, and Heno after figures from Iroquois mythology. About 150 years ago a penal system was established on a planet named Huron after an Iroquois tribe that had been an enemy of the other nations. Huron was established on a planet previously thought too harsh to be inhabited.

The Confederation is democratic republic. There is an elected executive known as the Huaduno. The legislature is the Grand Council, headed by the Tadadaho. The eight original member planets have nine representatives each in honor of the nine traditional clans of the Iroquois. The three mining colonies have three reps each and Huron gets four reps for the non-criminal residents. This gives the Grand Council 85 members. The Tadadaho is elected from the body and only votes in case of ties. The judicial system is refered to as the Peacemakers. The high court are called the Great Peacemakers and has nine members.

Over a third of the Confederations economy is dedicated to the military. They produce primarily simple craft and arms the can be produced in mass. They have a very large navy but it consists mainly of small ships that must use jumpgates. They have only developed jump point tech in the last decade and have only a handful of ships that can create jump points. The highlights of their navy are the Arrowhead light fighter and Tomahawk gunboat. The fleet ships are designed on a modular set up. They all have the same highly efficient engine system and command/crew module. They can then be designed for carrier, scout, transport or destroyer duty. Due to the modular design there are also some "uglies" in the navy that were pieced together after battle.

The planets are:

Iroquois
The federal capital of Covenant is here housing the Grand Council and the office of the Huedeno. The planetary capital is Hiawatha. Most of the planet is dedicated to governmental support although there are large acadmic and research areas. The planet is standard human gravity and climate. The fleet at Iroquois is known as the Bear Fleet.

Seneca
The headquarters of the navy and naval training. The planetary capital is Genesee. It's economy is primarily in support of the navy. It is about 85% water. The large water content is used in training naval personnel in weightlessness and confinement in underwater facilities. The fleet at Seneca is known as the Eel Fleet.

Mohawk
The headquarters of the army and marines. Its economy is primarily in support of the military. Its capital is Brant. It is cold moon around a gas giant. It has large polar ice caps but is fairly moderate temperature at the equators. The fleet at Mohawk is known as the Wolf Fleet.

Tuscarora
The home of the judicial branch. It was thought wise to keep the Peacemakers away from the policitcs of Covenant. It is a hot planet with almost no polar ice. The equator areas are uninhabitable. The northern hemisphere is home of the Great Peacemakers. The southern hemisphere is the appealate courts with one dedicated to each planet. The planetary captial is Hancock. The fleet at Tuscarora is known as the Turtle Fleet

Cherokee
The primary agricultural world of the Confederation. It is almost human standard across the board. The capital is Ross. The fleet at Cherokee is known as the Deer Fleet.

Onodaga
The primary shipyards for both civilian and military craft. While there are smaller military shipyards at Seneca, Mohawk, and Cayuga, Onodaga is the only one that can produce the jump point capable ships. Its capital is Canastego. It is a moon with lighter than standard gravity. Its slow orbit around its gas giant results in 3 month periods of night when the planet is between Onodaga and its star. The Onodaga fleet is known as the Heron Fleet.

Cayuga
Produces almost all the military hardware for the army and marines and has a small shipyard that primarily produces troop transport design. Its capital is Chonodote. It is a temperate moon with large freshwater lakes and very small oceans. While there some islands it has one large land mass that is never completely broken by water. The fleet at Cayuga is known as the Hawk Fleet.

Oneida
The home of civilian technology and industry and the academic and cultural center of the Confederation. Its captial is Southwold. It has a very large tropical band centered at the equator and taking up nearly a third of the planet. It has very small ice caps with much of the remaining nothern and southern hemispheres covered by water. The largest mining operations outside the colonies are on Oneida. The fleet at Oneida is known as the Beaver Fleet.

Huron
The prison world. It is a frozen moon oribiting a gas giant. It was orignally deemed too hostile for habitation as there is only a narrow area around the equator that gets warm enough for living. It houses both domestic and foreign military prisoners as well as domestic civilian prisoners. The prison facilities are built in geodesic domes in the unhabitable frozen areas, if someone escapes it's unlikely they can suvive to another area of the planet. The capital is Wyandot.

The mining colonies are Onatha, Yosheka, and Heno. The first is a solid planet while the last two are moons around gas giants. They provide the primary raw materials for production. All are built under geodesic domes. They are essentially city-states from a governmental standpoint.
The fleet patroling Huron and the mining colonies is known as the Snipe Fleet.

I added all the planet types and fleet names. I decided to make Tuscaroroa the Turtle fleet because turtles are often portrayed as wise. I didn't want to develop a lot of the planets too far until I can see what effect things like high and low gravity have in game terms. I'm moving the comment on military structure to another post.
Last edited by KnightFall on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:49 pm

Looks good so far. I like the tech levels and social structure.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Confederation military

Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:53 am

The military consists of 9 naval fleets, 9 marine divisions, and 9 army divisions. Each is grouped together with 1 fleet, marine division and army division assigned to each of the member planets and the remaining fleet, and divisions divided among the mining colonies and Huron. Each fleet is named after one of the traditional clans.

The army divisions are planet bound and tasked with defense should any planet be invaded. The marines are attached to the navy and serve on space stations and ships. Every system has a military defense station in orbit of the planet and at the system jumpgate.

(more later)
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:06 pm

The Confed marines and army use the same structure. Different titles are used among the enlisted ranks due to the fact that marines tend to operate in smaller units aboard ships and such.

The structure follows

Fire team: 6
Squad: 12
Platoon: 50
Company: 200 + command elements
Battalion: 800 + command elements
Regiment: 3200 + command elements
Brigade: 12800 + command elements
Division: 51200 + command elements

Ranks follow. Common ranks will have 1 entry, if there are different titles is will be army/marine.

Private
Superior Private
Private First Class
Lance Corporal
Corporal
Platoon Sergeant/Lead Sergeant
Company Sergeant/Sergeant First Class
Battalion Sergeant/Staff Sergeant
Regimental Sergeant/Gunnery Sergeant
Brigade Sergeant/Master Sergeant
Division Sergeant/Sergeant Major

Officer ranks are:

3rd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel
Brigadier
Major General
Lietenant General
General

Lance coporals and corporals command squads/fire teams.
4 squads make a platoon commanded by a Lieutenant and seconded by a Sergeant. The army Sergeant ranks make it obvious how they are structured.

Companies have 4 platoons. They are commanded by a Captain. Most companies have 1 3rd Lieutenant, 2 2nd Lieutenants and 1 1st Lieutenant as platoon commanders. The senior lieutenant acts as XO. The captain also gets a command squad.

4 companies to battalion. It is commanded by a Lt. Colonel with a Major as an XO. The battalion commander has as command platoon.

4 battalions make a regiment. It is commanded by a Colonel with a Lt Colonel as XO. The regiment commander has command company.

4 regiments make a brigade. It is commanded by a Brigadier . Formal structure is different here as this gets into flag command areas.

4 brigades make the division assisgned to a system. They are generally commanded by a Major General or Lieutenant General. There is only 1 full Marine General and 1 Full Army General, along with a Sergeant Major of the Army and Sergeant Major of the Marines. They all report to the Marshal of the Confederation and the Haudeno.
-Ready Player One

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:31 pm

Navy ranks

Enlisted:

Yeoman Apprentice
Yeoman
Able Yeoman
Senior Yeoman
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Officer ranks:

Ensign
Lieutenant (junior grade)
Lieutenant (senior grade)
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain (junior grade)
Captain (senior grade)
Commodore
Admiral
Fleet Admiral
High Admiral

There is one High Admiral and with the Master Chief of the Navy reports direct to the Marshal and Haundeno like their Army and Marine counterparts.

Fighter divisions are in groups of 4: 4 fighters to flight, 4 flights to a squadron, 4 squadrons to a wing, 4 wings to a group and 4 groups to a fleet. These are divided among ships and space stations.

Due to the high number of fighters and other speciality positions the Navy makes use of a lot of Warrant Officers. There 5 warrant ranks roughly equivalant to the 1st 5 officer ranks. While the Army and Marines also use Warrant Officers they are more common in the Navy. Warrant ranks are:

Warrant 1
Warrant 2
Chief Warrant 1
Chief Warrant 2
Chief Warrant 3

Someone in the first two ranks is addressed by the warrant title (Warrant Smith, Warrant Jones). Someone of the higher 3 ranks is addressed as Chief.

Fleet ship command will range between Lt Commander to Captain (sg). Ships will make up flotillas commanded by a commodore and flotillas grouped into task forces commanded by Admirals. I don't have the numbers on these yet. The navy also has command of the space stations and some of the ships and fighters will be assigned there.
Last edited by KnightFall on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ready Player One

Blayde
Zombie Bard

Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:24 pm

I'll do some work on the seamy underbelly of the galaxy. Underworld organizations, organized crime, etc. Kind of my area of interest, as it were.
Consistency - It's not just a river in Egypt.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:46 am

Good idea.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:50 am

Chris, feel free to develop underground/criminal organizations for the Confed. Obviously there is a Native American theme running here but it is overall a pretty open society.
-Ready Player One

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:32 am

The individual planets in the Confed essentially have variations on the federal government (much like the current US). They have elected governors and legislatures. The local governments handle civilian law enforcement.

The Haundeno has a cabinet of advisors. The War Council is made up of the Marshal of the Confederation, the General of the Army, the General of the Marines, the High Admiral of the Navy, the Sergeant Major of the Army, the Sergeant Major of the Marines, the Master Chief Petty Offficer of the Navy, and the civilian Secretary of Defense. The Secretary's office is primarily tasked with being a liason to the private sector areas that support the military. They handle logistics and aren't really involved directly in military operations.

The Office of Foreign Affairs handles the diplomatic corps and foreign intelligence gathering. Security for Confed foreign embassies are trained with the other members of the military but not part of the military chain of command. They also regulate foreign trade.

The Domestic Affairs Council is made up of several departments. There is an overall Secretary but meetings are usually conducted with all members. There are representatives from each system appointed by the system governor. There are representatives of the Mining Guild, Trades Guild and Agriculture Department. Internal Security is also under the authority of Domestic Affairs. They handle federal investigations and are in charge of the prison security at Huron.
-Ready Player One

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:41 am

I think that covers most of the infrastructure of the Confederation. Let me know if anyone sees something that seems to be glaringly missing.

I've been working on ideas for this literally for the last 8 years. I remember sitting in one of my training classes when I first started with State Farm and drawing a map with the Confed as small system on the edge of known space. I remember being in training in Bloomington, IL and designing the the Arrowhead fighter and Tomahawk gunboat.

I may also post some other areas in the cluster for development. I've had ideas for kingdom with a very complex feudal system that might be fun. I also had a commonwealth idea where each planet is home to a different race and they band together loosely so they don't get absorbed by someone larger.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:54 pm

I think you've covered most of it, Shawn, with the exception of the fine details; things like individual cities and perhaps leadership and so forth.

I'll be interested to work out the interactions between the areas once we got the bulk of them estabished. For that part, if you wanted to introduce a new area later on, just link them in with a new jumpgate to an established area.

Chris, when you work on your crime group(s), you might keep in mind that they could easily jump borders. Some of the areas I've been working on I'm sure will be located near Shawn's Confed and would be fertile ground for exciting new crime. :)

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

The Watchtowers

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:34 am

The Confed has a series of military space stations in each system. There is one at a LaGrange Point of each planet and one at each jumpgate. I haven't decided about intrasystem stations yet, some of that depends on the number of jumpgates in a system

All of these stations are called Watchtowers. The ones at a planet are named after the planet, Watchtower Iroquois, Watchtower Mohawk, etc. Other stations in a system will be named after precious metals, gems and minerals (Watchtower Gold, Watchower Granite, Watchtower Emerald). I'll post a complete list as it is developed.
-Ready Player One

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:25 pm

Here is the Watchtower list for the Confed.

Iroquois
Watchtower Iroquois
Watchtower Gold
Watchtower Silver
Watchtower Platinum
Watchtower Titanium

Cherokee
Watchtower Cherokee
Watchtower Granite
Watchtower Flint
Watchtower Quartz
Watchtower Turquoise

Seneca
Watchtower Seneca
Watchtower Ruby
Watchtower Emerald
Watchtower Sapphire
Watchtower Diamond

Mohawk
Watchtower Mohawk
Watchtower Opal
Watchtower Amethyst
Watchtower Garnet
Watchtower Topaz

Onodaga
Watchtower Onodaga
Watchtower Adamantium
Watchtower Mithril
Watchtower Obsidian
Watchtower Galvorn

Tuscarora
Watchtower Tusarora
Watchtower Onyx
Watchtower Amber
Watchtower Jade
Watchtower Aquamarine

Cayuga
Watchtower Cayuga
Watchtower Arcanite
Watchtower Jasper
Watchtower Malachite
Watchtower Pearl

Oneida
Watchtower Oneida
Watchtower Copper
Watchtower Bronze
Watchtower Steel
Watchtower Brass

Huron
Watchtower Huron
Watchtower Iron
Watchtower Jet

Onatha
Watchtower Onatha
Watchtower Crystal
Watchtower Ivory

Iosheka
Watchtower Iosheka
Watchtower Pyrite

Yosheka
Watchtower Yosheka
Watchtower Agate
-Ready Player One