Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

Raedic
Guardinal

Tech Level

Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:45 am

I want to set a guide line for Tech Level.
How is d20 set up?
I have a very complete set of rules for Space Opera. They have a well developed tech tree.
TL 1 = rock attached to a stick.
TL 6 = modern day.
TL 10 = top of chart, think Mimbari.

When make a list of planets. I think tech level should be one of the headings.
Last edited by Raedic on Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceeta: You realise you can get ten times the output from a gun less than a tenth that size, don't you?
[ommminous hummmmm]
Schlock: I like the soothing sounds I get out of this one.
Ceeta: The glow of doom from the barrel is a nice touch, too...

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:30 am

Going by those guidelines I'd say the Confed is between 8 & 9 across the board.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:08 pm

Tech levels should run something like this (thought this isn't set is stone yet)

Tech Level 4: Information Age (Modern Day)

Early spaceflight. Mostly projectile weapons and missiles. Some early energy weapons. (current era IRL)

Tech Level 5: Fusion Age (Firefly, 2010)

In-system spaceflight. Can use Jumpgates but no Jump Engines and cannot build Gates. Early energy weapons. Fusion power, early AI, etc. (near future and just beyond tech)

Tech Level 6: Interstellar Age (Bab5 EA, Nexus. Battletech)

Jump Engines, Jumpgates, small fusion plants, Mecha, good energy weapons. Energy hand weapons. (recommended player race tech)

Tech Level 7: The Imperial Age (Bab5 Centauri, Star Wars, ST: Enterprise)

Artificial Gravity, advanced jump engines, early gravitics (repulsorlift, etc). Advanced mecha, excellent starships.

Tech Level 8: The Gilded Age (ST:TNG)

Highly advanced technology, trivial fusion power, advanced weapons and drives, huge ships, artificial colonies, etc. (not really recommended for player races) Matter Transportation.

Tech Level 9: The Gravetic Age

These highly advanced races are capable of feats more primitive races can barely detect or understand. Gravetic drives, trivial matter transportation, etc. (not recommended for player races)

Tech Level 10: Demigod Age

Races who have reached Tech Level 10 are hugely advanced. Living ships, godlike weapons, etc. (not recommended for player races)
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:19 pm

Tech Level 6 matches very closely to what I saw for the Confed. We're probably slightly behind in jump tech and maybe a little ahead in weapon tech. We'll see when we start designing ships and all.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:22 pm

I've updated the Delta Cluster worlds with TL's. Some of the individual worlds are much lower tech, but they have higher tech neighbors so they have access to some of the higher tech equipment.

There will of course be natural variation between TL's on a given world ... some races might have TL 5 ships, but they've bought enough TL 6 Jump Engines that they can build a few or equip a few ships with them. Most planets will only display their highest TL in major cities or bases as well.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:27 pm

Does this follow the TL ratings from the d20F book?
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:22 pm

Sort of. Not exactly.

It 'stretches' tech a bit further across the levels. The jump between 5 and 6 in D20F, for example, is closer to our 4 to 8. Little more fine scope in the system I laid out.

Wolfgod