Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

The Triad

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:29 pm

The Triad
TL 5.7
The Triad is a cluster of 3 inhabited systems near the Confederation. They were discovered several hundred years ago by the Uhlani and developed an alliance based on similar religious beliefs. They have cool relationships with the human descended groups because they physically resemble evil entities from human myth and religion. The translated names of the planets are Wolf, Ram and Hart.

The inhabitants of Wolf are essentially the hybrid form of werewolves without the mystical or magical aspects. Silver is not found on their planet and when exposed to it they have an allergic reaction, furthering the human fears.
The residents of Ram resemble satyr or pan creatures of Greek myth. As this was also a model for Lucifer it creates an uncomfortable feeling with many of the humans.
The residents of Hart resemble "The Horned God" of Celtic and neo-pagan religions as well as one of the avatars of Vishnu in Hinduism.

The inhabitants of the Triad believe in the Great Old Ones. They believe the Old Ones of each planet created their races before being banished by the Elder Gods. There are several Old Ones worshipped on each planet but no duplication on any of the planets. There are several cults on each planet.

The Triad is a theocracy. Several priests from each world are educated in the beliefs of all the cults of their planets forming the High Priesthood. Three members of the High Priesthood (one from each planet) are elected to the Great Triad and share executive power.

The Triad is a high TL 5 society. They can't build or repair jumpgates or build jump engines. The have some laser techonology but not a lot. Because of their appearance and religion they have cool relations with most human descended cultures. They are known as the Nightmare Trinity and Evil Three in some places. They have good relations with the Acai Maj in part because they believe the Acai Maj planets are where additional Old Ones may be sleeping. They have become hostile to the Uhlani over the years as they have come to believe them to be agents of the Elder Gods who banished the Old Ones.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:18 am

I came up with this idea Saturday night while reading varying entries on the mythos behind Whedon's "Buffyverse" and another fictional mythos (can you guess which one?) I originally did the planets as 3 separate systems but I'm wondering if this would work better as a multiple star system. It might better explain the similarities between the residents of Ram and Hart. Suggestions, Questions?
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 am

There are some mulitple star systems with six or seven stars. Go with the multiple system. At least one race should have evolved around a red or orange star ... just for the evil lighting effect. :)
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:58 am

I had completely forgotten about the evil lighting! That would be very important for the proper effect. If I have time tonight I'll look for some multi star systems and just transplant the Triad there.
-Ready Player One

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:19 pm

The Triad military follows an odd ranking system in their military. This is partially due to the fact that the military is as dedicated to the preseverance of the religion as to the defense of the people. There is no set distinction between officer and enlisted ranks, all members of the military start at the lowest.

Defender: The lowest rank, roughly equivalent to a private or yeoman rank in the Confederation.

Protector: Roughly equivalent to a corporal or petty officer.

Guardian: Equivalent to a sergeant or chief petty officer.

Preceptor: Equivalent to a high ranking enlisted (Sergeant Major or Master Chief) or a Warrant Officer.

Cleric: Equivalent to a lieutenant

Bishop: Equivalent to an army captain or naval commander

Cardinal: Equivalent to an army colonel or naval captain.

Saint: Equivalent to a general or admiral.
-Ready Player One