Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

bitweever
Site Admin

Defining races in game terms

Tue May 01, 2007 1:04 pm

I don't have a lot of experience doing this, and I think the Savage Species book (which I don't have) would help much. I'm going to talk about the Tikmijn and the Damboro here, so if you have no idea what I'm talking about, check my 'Kerakin' thread. I just wanted to jot down a few ideas to get some input from the group.

The Damboro are going to be large size class, and have some sort of impressive modifier to STR and CON. They might also have DR of some sort. They would likely have a major negative to DEX. Because of their size, they would have an larger reach than medium sized characters. They would have a natural 'bull rush' or slam attack. I was thinking that they might need to be one of those races that requires two (or more) levels to reach their full potential.

The Tikmijn are going to be a tiny size class, which in and of itself is a little bit of a challenge. They would have a natural +2 (Small +1, Tiny +2?) to their AC because of their size. They would also get all of the other benefits and weaknesses of their size. They would have a substantial negative to STR and CON, but a major bonus to DEX. They would have a plus to climb and listen checks as well due to their clawed hands and keen ears. In addition, they would use their DEX score for climb checks instead of their STR. They could use their tiny claws as a natural weapon, but they don't do much damage, so they typically use some sort of energy weapon.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue May 01, 2007 1:10 pm

Large size class usually has natural reach. I don't think Large comes with built-in stat modifiers, but either the Monster Manual or Savage Species should cover those rules - for adjusting a creature (like making a Huge Ogre, for example).

I think the MM has the 'level adjustment' stuff in it as well.

Keep in mind that most races develop technology that is lethal to themselves first. :)
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue May 01, 2007 1:26 pm

Defining the races in game terms is going to take a little work. Savage Species and the Monster Manual have rules for making races. We'll just need to sit down and use those.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Tue May 01, 2007 3:41 pm

With the Tikmijn, I'm not sure they would have to have a minus to CON just because they're small. They can still be hardy even with a smaller size.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue May 01, 2007 3:51 pm

The Tikmijn also have the ability to convey complex ideas in very little speech, making them work well together. When a Tikmijn 'aids another' Tikmijn, then there is a +1 'cooperation bonus' to the roll. When two Tikmijn attack one target (which they must be in the same square to do), they gain a +2 bonus on to-hit rolls. Note that they do not gain the usual +2 flanking bonus that medium-sized creatures get.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.