Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Races of the Galaxy

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:00 pm

Post your races' game stats here.

Also working on a race relation table. Please list your race(s) and their relations with other races in the galaxy. If you don't know, then go read that races' source material and figure it out.

Current races are:

*Acai Maj viewtopic.php?t=276
Astartes (human) viewtopic.php?t=267
*Baal viewtopic.php?t=267
Commonweath: Cossaks viewtopic.php?t=292
Commonwealth: Mantians viewtopic.php?t=292
Commonweath: Perinians viewtopic.php?t=292
Commonwealth: Saurians viewtopic.php?t=292
Confederation (human) viewtopic.php?t=270
*Dambaro viewtopic.php?t=268
Etheradi viewtopic.php?t=267
Isaans viewtopic.php?t=267
*Jakaari viewtopic.php?t=336
Kerakin viewtopic.php?t=268
Makali Sri viewtopic.php?t=267
Outbackers (human) viewtopic.php?t=267
Phoiniki viewtopic.php?t=267
*Predekkhar viewtopic.php?t=267
Shivan viewtopic.php?t=267
Tenchi (human) viewtopic.php?t=286
*Tikmijn viewtopic.php?t=268
Triad viewtopic.php?t=296
*Uhlani viewtopic.php?t=267

There are five attitudes; Kill on Sight, Hostile , Neutral, Friendly and Ambiable, abbreviated KOS, HOS, N, FR, AM.

For example, the Predekkhar might look like:

Acai Maj: HOS
Baal: KOS
Etheradi: N
Isaans: Fr
Jakaari: N
Triad: KOS
Uhlani: HOS

Or something like that.

Baal are KOS to all non-Baal.

Attached the Space Game Spreadsheet. 3rd tab is Race relations. I've filled in all mine.

*Illustrated
Attachments
sdr10_720.xls
(51.5 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Last edited by Wolfgod on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Raedic
Guardinal

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:00 pm

Updated with Jaakari input.
Attachments
sdr10_720_191-1.xls
(42.5 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Ceeta: You realise you can get ten times the output from a gun less than a tenth that size, don't you?
[ommminous hummmmm]
Schlock: I like the soothing sounds I get out of this one.
Ceeta: The glow of doom from the barrel is a nice touch, too...

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:43 am

Dustin-
The Krynn need to be added. I know the Kerakin/Tegor post sounds like they're partially integrated, but I think I'm going to make them my heavies; Technologically advanced and cold.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:32 am

I think you actually used the word 'integrated' in that post. :)

The Triad, Kerakin, and Commonwealth are all multi-racial societies. I guess what I need to know is if a given power is 'integrated' (meaning all the races i that group have the same attitudes) or 'independent' (meaning they go their own way, but are part of a loose association). Obviously integrated races are listed together - like the Uhlani, who have client races working with them, but they are integrated races who have adopted a lot of Uhlani attitudes.

I'll go add the Krynn. I don't know much about 'em, though.
Attachments
sdr10_720_191_1_130.xls
(44 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Raedic
Guardinal

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Update.
Attachments
sdr10_720_191_1_130_279.xls
(42.5 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Ceeta: You realise you can get ten times the output from a gun less than a tenth that size, don't you?
[ommminous hummmmm]

bitweever
Site Admin

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:42 pm

Dustin-
The Kerakin are an integrated race of the Kerakin, Tegor, Pak, and Slavor, but the Krynn are not included in that. The Kerakin are basically human, and mostly concerned with survival any way they can make it. The Krynn are more technologically advanced, cold, and care little for anything but their own agenda. The Krynn are basically human also, yet smaller and more slender with a slight bluish tint to their skin. They are also reported to have some slight telepathic abilities.
The thermal exhaust port of your Death Star™ plays a critical role in the dissipation of excess waste heat produced by the Death Star's energy reactors. Under no circumstances is the thermal exhaust port to be covered, obstructed or modified in any way.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:14 am

Allrightythen. I guess I just need Shawn to weigh in on his multi-race societies.

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:57 am

I'm getting to it. Sheesh.

The Triad is tightly integrated due to shared religion. Their attitude will be the same across the board.

In the Commonwealth, the Cossaks are the only race that the Mantian, Saurians, and Perinians will deal with. Essentially they are kill on sight to every race but Cossaks. Cossaks, as the "face" of the Commonwealth, have a range of attitudes.

I'll try to work on the disposition of the Triad, Commonwealth, and Confederation over the next few days.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:51 pm

Isn't there a flaw in how this spreadsheet is set up? Seems like one axis should be how race1 relates to race2, and the other is how race2 relates to race1 -- not necessarily the same thing. One race1 may be hostile to race2, but race2 may be indifferent to Race1. Right now, you have the Baal going KOS in both directions. I mean, if the Baal KOS everyone but their own, does that automatically mean that everyone else (including the Tikmijn) KOS them?

Fear the, uh, fearsome Tikmijn battle cruisers!

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:21 pm

The horizontal line is how that race regards everyone else - that's why I've filled in the races I've done. I took the liberty of filling in the Baal as KOS to everyone because, well, any other attitude towards Baal is asking to be a meal ... even if you are a Tikmijn.

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Cool, good to know. We need to go over the races sometime, I don't know enough about the others to fill in the graph.

Ok, added how my races feel about my other races. Wrote KOS all the way across for the Tikmijn. They're violent like that.
Attachments
sdr10_720_191_1_130_279_103_21_HUT_HUT.xls
(44.5 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Last edited by bitweever on Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:40 pm

I linked to what's there ... some of the races have more background than others. In many cases, though, I wasn't sure what a given races' attitudes might be.

Wolfgod

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:06 pm

Acai Maj: Aquatic race resembling bipedal sharks. The Acai Maj are capable of operating on land for brief periods or in environment suits. The Acai Maj are formed into large tribes as a governmental structure. They are an aggressive and predatory race.

Astartes: Human world ruled by a benevolent oligarchy. They maintain a profitable free-trade zone and have a very capitalistic society.

Baal: Five to seven meter tall amphibious bipedal Pliosaurs innately hostile to just about everything.

CmW Cossacks: The public face of the multi-racial Commonwealth trade cartel, the Cossacks are human variants adapted to extreme cold.

CmW Mantians: Insectoid race resembling Mantis folk. Xenophobic to non-Commonwealth races.

CmW Perinians: Small winged humanoids. Xenophobic to non-Commonwealth races.

CmW Saurians: Lizardlike race adapted to very hot worlds. Xenophobic to non-Commonwealth races.

Confederation: Large Democratic Republic of humans.

Dambaro: Warrior race of large bipedal pachyderms.

Etheradi: Shy race of highly advanced disk-shaped aliens that live in the atmospheres of gas giants. Secretive and difficult to approach.

Isaans: Race of humanoids roughly half the size of humans; they are scavengers, tinkerers and salvagers. They have good relations with a handful of powers but are generally regarded as thieves or nuisances.

Jakaari: Race of centauroid four-armed felines who sell high-tech arms and military services to other races. Otherwise the Jaakari are somewhat reserved.

Kerakin: Humanoid race of scavengers descended from a once-proud Empire. Also include the client races of the Tegor, Pak, and Slavor. (all integrated racial subtypes).

Krynn: Humanoid race with bluish skin; splintered from the Kerakin. Somewhat cold and exploitative.

Makali Sri: Militaristic and religious variant race of humans suspected to have been genetically modified by the Etheradi. Sri are combative and warlike, often fighting among themselves or hiring out to fight the wars of others.

Outbackers: Humans of the Outback Alliance are somewhat poor, but ferociously independent. Ruled by a very loose Democratic republic.

Phoiniki: Amphibious race ruled by a benevolent monarchy, still struggling to recover from decades of Uhlani occupation.

Predekkhar: Rare race of dangerous humanoids nearly wiped out by some kind of cataclysm on their homeworlds. Remaining nomadic groups are pirates or mercenaries.

Shivan: Bipedal carnivorous felines locked in a desperate war with the Baal.

Tenchi: Feudal human Empire; highly militaristic; a large segment of their people serve the Uhlani Empire.

Tikmijn: Very small race of tinkerers resembling bipedal foxes/otters/meerkats. Primitive culture but good with machines.

Triad: Multi-racial alliance with religious views which make them unnerving to many human cultures.

Uhlani: Floating jellyfish with a highly advanced Imperial culture and dozens of client races. The Uhlani vary from smothering paternalism to outright conquest of other races, but they also carry the mail and provide other services across the settled worlds.

Wolfgod

KnightFall
Forger of Worlds

Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:57 pm

Looks like good summary to me.

I need to work out how the Confed feels about the various alien races.
It suddenly occurred to me just how absurd this scene was: a guy wearing a suit of armor, standing next to an undead king, both hunched over the controls of a classic arcade game.
-Ready Player One

bitweever
Site Admin

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:14 pm

That helps, thanks.

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Should we make spreadsheets and docs like this into Google documents to make it easier for all of us to edit? Vicki and I do that all the time, and it works out pretty well.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:28 pm

Good idea!

Wolfgod

bitweever
Site Admin

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:34 pm

I'm always up for a gratuitous use of technology.

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:50 pm

Isaans

Ability Modifiers: -2 Str; +2 Dex; +2 Intelligence; -2 Wisdom;

Small Creatures; +1 Size bonus to AC, +1 Size Bonus to Attack rolls, +4 Bonus to Hide Checks.

Base Speed: 20

Mechanically inclined; all Isaans gain Repair as a Class Skill.
Tinkerers; all Isaans gain a +2 bonus on Repair and Craft (any) Skills.

Wolfgod

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:01 pm

Baal

Ability Modifiers: +6 Str; -4 Dex; -2 Int

Huge Creatures: -2 Penalty on Defense; -2 Penalty on Attack Rolls; -8 Penalty on Hide Checks

Base Speed: 30'; swim 50'

Natural Armor +2 Defense
Bite Attack 2d8 + (Str*1.5)

Wolfgod

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:06 pm

Predekkhar (+2 Level Adjustment)

Ability Modifiers: +2 Dex ;+2 Con; -2 Wis; -2 Cha

Base Speed: 30 '

Rage (as Barbarian)
Gain Bonus Feat Skill Focus: Survival and Skill Focus: Stealth.
Natural Weapon: 2x Spur D6
Low-light Vision

Wolfgod

nfguinn
Forger of Worlds

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Acai Maj

Ability Modifiers: +2 Con; -2 Wis; -2 Cha;

Medium Creatures: No size modifiers

Base Speed: 30'; swim 30'

Bite Attack 1d8 + (Str*1.5)

Hydration - Acai must immerse themselves in Brine for at least 1 min every day or dehydrate. For each standard day that passes without immersion, the Acai takes 1d4 temp Con damage. If the Acai gets to a 0 Con it dies.
Suki desu kada Nihongo de hanashitai desu.

Raedic
Guardinal

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:58 pm

Jaakari

Ability Modifiers: +6 Dex, -2 Str

Medium Creatures: No size modifiers

Base Speed: 30'

Natural Weapons: 1d6 claw attack x2
+4 Grapple
Thermal vision
Multi-arms. can use two, two handed weapons.
[ommminous hummmmm]

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Right now we have illustrated the Jakaari, Dambaro, Uhlani, Tikmijn, and Acai Maj.

We should get at least a sketch for everybody. I'd also like to fiddle up one 'typical starship' for each race.

Wolfgod

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:21 pm

I'm working on the whole Races/Empires entries in the Wiki. I'm assigning governments to a lot of the races just willy nilly.

Shawn, could you be more specific with the whole Confederation/Commonwealth thing? Just calling them after a government type is pretty broad. (what if we have two?) They can normally be referred to as such, but I'd like a specific name for the Wiki like the Shaw Confederation and the Tamaric Commonwealth, or something.

Wolfgod