Discussion about the 5 Kingdoms

Raedic
Guardinal

Starship Feat/Flaw Suggestion Box

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:06 pm

Flaw: Jaakari crew only.
This ship is built only for Jaakari. Ship fittings, controls ect, are ack-ward and in strange places for most other races. -2 to control checks for non Jaakari.

Feat: Jaakari Armor belt
TL 7
Ship is immune to Crits caused by energy weapons.
PR: must have an armor feat. Light, med, ect.
Ceeta: You realise you can get ten times the output from a gun less than a tenth that size, don't you?
[ommminous hummmmm]
Schlock: I like the soothing sounds I get out of this one.
Ceeta: The glow of doom from the barrel is a nice touch, too...

Raedic
Guardinal

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:22 pm

Feat: Ultralight armor.
Advanced materials reduce speed loss due to armor by half.
TL 6
PR: Armor feat
Ceeta: You realise you can get ten times the output from a gun less than a tenth that size, don't you?
[ommminous hummmmm]

Raedic
Guardinal

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Feat: Electronic Counter Measures (ECM)
Basic ECM +2 to AC dodge bonus
Military Standard ECM +6 AC dodge bonus
Advanced ECM +10 AC dodge bonus

A ship can use either ECM or stealth, on a one to one trade off. Example
Ship with lvl 2 stealth, and a lvl 1 ecm. Would only benefit from lvl 1 stealth with ECM turned on. With ECM off then benefit would be lvl 2 stealth

TL 5
[ommminous hummmmm]

Raedic
Guardinal

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:35 pm

Feat: difficult to detect (Move silently/Hide skills)
TL 5
Basic
Military Standard
Advanced

Gives bonus to hide your ship from enemy sensors (listen/spot)
[ommminous hummmmm]

Raedic
Guardinal

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:02 pm

Flaw: Jaakari Gravitics TL 7
Ship cannot be flown over habitable areas at low or medium altitudes. Overflight will cause sonic damage to structures and people. Low altitude operation over open water only.
[ommminous hummmmm]

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:56 pm

Hmm. Jakaari ships, like most non-humanoid built ships, will impose a penalty on other races trying to fly them. How exactly is that a flaw, though? Jakaari ships get a free feat for being built for Jakaari? Seems like it might be best to handle that as a trait granted by the constructor race. If you haven't looked at the latest update, I added a rough draft for those kinda rules.

The Jakaari Armor Belt is a little powerful. Magic item Fortification is the closest D&D equivalent. Seems like it runs in the 25-50-75% range, each one being another Feat. There isn't any such thing as Immune to Crits that I can recall. Also, because this has Jakaari in the name, is it Jakaari only?

As for Ultralight armor - the idea is fine, but you can't reduce speed loss by half. Speed is in 5' increments. You could reduce the speed loss by 5'. Of course, taking 'fast' 'very fast' and the like is a better deal. The only time you'd use this feat is when you've already used all the speed feats and *still* want to increase speed.

Dodge bonuses for ECM are way, way too high. The Agile series is giving you 1 point of AC in exchange for 1 feat. Also, if ECM is a dodge bonus, it doesn't stack with Agile (like bonuses don't usually stack). I would suggest each level of ECM gives a +1 Equipment bonus to AC. Mutually exclusive with Stealth, since you can't emit ECM and run silent at the same time.

'Move Silently' feats are simple and easy and something we need.

Jakaari Gravitics doesn't strike me as a flaw so much as a weapon system. Also, it doesn't seem right that a TL7 culture can't make safe repulsorlift type systems. If they were TL5, sure. But TL7? Regardless, the penalty isn't severe enough to warrant a whole free feat IMO.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Raedic
Guardinal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:12 am

This is why I called this section a sugestion box. Most of the numbers I used were picked mostly to be place holders. Fitting into the system as a whole would of course require some adjustment.
[ommminous hummmmm]

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:18 am

Sure. I fiddled with all these and added all but the flaws to the latest update.
- "Don't assume you are safe because there is a rational explanation for all of this."

Wolfgod

Raedic
Guardinal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:49 am

Flaw: Easy to detect.
Plus 5, 10, 15? to search rolls to spot ship, may stack
[ommminous hummmmm]

Raedic
Guardinal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:55 am

Feat: No crew.
Total robotic control for Ti, Di, and SM only
Must take one feat per size class. All or nothing. Cannot have some machine and some meat.
TL 5
PR must have command ship in range. Or ship reverts to a set program?
[ommminous hummmmm]

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:50 am

The 'obvious' feat set is a good flaw series. I'll add those.

The total automation is a good idea, but I'm not sure how best to implement it. Maybe you could add a feat for AI control/assist, like make 'small crew' a series of feats. So you could cut the crew in half for one feat, then by 75% for another feat, then totally automate (AI) the ship for 3 feats?

Wolfgod

Raedic
Guardinal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:00 am

I would break it down into two seperate Feats. Total Automation and Partial Automation. Do Total somewhat as I have outlined. Partial could go more with your idea.
[ommminous hummmmm]

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:12 pm

Done. Not sure how to treat a totally automated warship under the rules, though.

Wolfgod

Raedic
Guardinal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:55 pm

In range of the command ship. Play as normal.
Out of command range, then follow preset instruction.
Example: attack any enemy in range, return to base, attack only if attacked, ect.
[ommminous hummmmm]

Raedic
Guardinal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:01 pm

I would like to see some race specific feats.

Jaakari Armor Belt could be one of them. How is this for a revision:

JAB provides limited protection from critical hits.
Light armor 25% chance to ignore extra damage from a critical hit.
Med armor 50% chance
Heavy armor 75% chance

TL 7
PR: Jaakari built, superior materials
Last edited by Raedic on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[ommminous hummmmm]

Raedic
Guardinal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:06 pm

Feat: Superior Materials
TL 6
Adds +2 to AC, +5 speed
Add 25% to ship cost
PR Needs several
[ommminous hummmmm]

Wolfgod
Forger of Forgers

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:50 pm

Race specific feats are fine, but I'd want a reason why everybody else could not or would not duplicate the technology. Part of the point is that the system should be pretty generic - you might call your Pulse weapons plasma while the Isaa call them proton cannons, but it does the same thing game-wise.

Already added the Fortification style feats to the .xls file. Those seem like a good idea for folks that want to use them.

The Superior Materiels feat you've got there is a bit much. You're basically getting two existing feats for a 25% prince increase. The system already allows you to do this by taking Persnickety for the extra feat.

What I'd rather see instead of race-specific feats would be a package of required feats by race. For example:

Outworlds Alliance may not use:
Deflector feats, Shield feats, Stealth feats, may not use Atmospheric on size class Large or larger. No Ion weapon feats.

Outworlds Alliance Civilian:
Requires Rugged x2, Slow, Big Target (no net gain or loss of feats)

Outworlds Alliance Military:
Requires Rugged x2, Slow, provides one Bonus Feat.

This makes anything built by the OA (by anybody, even if you aren't the race's creator) fit the mold of their tech. The OA doesn't have much fancy tech, but their ships are durable. Something like this would be neat for each race. It would avoid race-specific feats, but make sure that anything built by that race - even a player-designed custom freighter - would fit into that race's construction template.

Wolfgod

Raedic
Guardinal

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:38 pm

Sounds fine. I can see how we could duplicate feats for no good reason other than to make them race specific. Your guide lines look fine to me.
[ommminous hummmmm]